Cuba

-

Romeo

Mister "G"
Reaction score
My wife daughter and I might be heading for Cuba for a car part search hunt.....I mean vacation. I was wondering If anyone has made any connections with car clubs or scrap yards down there. I have found one club called the Mecharania club (dont laugh) But that is it. I want to bring back something for my car a souvenir for my car hopefully a wood-grain steering wheel. Cant wait to come through customs with that.

lucky... i've never been outside north america :) i hope your vacation goes well buddy

My wife daughter and I might be heading for Cuba for a car part search hunt.....I mean vacation. I was wondering If anyone has made any connections with car clubs or scrap yards down there. I have found one club called the Mecharania club (dont laugh) But that is it. I want to bring back something for my car a souvenir for my car hopefully a wood-grain steering wheel. Cant wait to come through customs with that.

I have been on cruises with Canadians and others that have been to Cuba. They all say there are some great classic cars there.

I cant wait till Castro's successor opens Cuba up for tourism. I hear there are great beaches there too.

I have been on cruises with Canadians and others that have been to Cuba. They all say there are some great classic cars there.

I cant wait till Castro's successor opens Cuba up for tourism. I hear there are great beaches there too.

Beaches are great, people are friendly, rum is excellent, cigars are killers and the food don't give you the runs like in Mexico. Just make sure that everytime the bartender gives you a drink (which are free in the all inclusive resorts) flip the guy a US buck that way when there's a lineup he'll serve you before the cheap assed SOB's.

Terry

Hey Romeo, have a blast! I took my 17 and 18 year old boys there for Christmas. It was amazing! I let the kids drink and they were fine...I just told them to not disrespect our family name and dont puke in the pool!!LOL ..and they didnt. I think the only time they were sick was when we went out deep sea fishing, they were hung over and spent the entire ride hanging over the edge of the boat or trying to sleep it off....caught 2 fish, a Jack and a Barracuda, that was cool!! The food is good, take some cheap giveaways for the maids and the bartenders. Bluejay hat, anything small like that. Saw lots of old cars, but no mopars, more like the mid 50's chebs and fords. Sorry for hijacking to show off the pics. OH BTW go to Canadian tire and buy the insulated "bubba" sport mugs. They hold about 4 beer....otherwise you will be getting up every 2 sips...they basically give you dixie cups. Enjoy and take lots of pics

HPIM1278.jpg

HPIM1295.jpg

HPIM1382.jpg

HPIM1422.jpg

HPIM1102.jpg

HPIM1231.jpg

HPIM1234.jpg

HPIM1275.jpg

Been to Cuba 7 times. Hired a van, driver and guide one time and toured Havana for a day. The traffic was like being in an old old movie. I saw a mid 50's Plymouth with a home-made roof rack welded to the roof pass us at over 70 MPH. That thing was all over the road and the smoke screen it laid down could cover a beach landing. Wild day. Drank at Hemingway's fav bar, had lunch at the hotel where he lived, walked the Malecon (ocean-front street), went to a cigar factory and watched the women hand roll, went to a rum distillery and bought a bunch of rum.
I like the people and the weather but I decided to not go back as the country is a terrible polluter. The urban areas are filthy when you step off the main street. They sacrifice the environment for prosperity (which is defined as a couple of extra US dollars) in many ways.
We passed a crude oil power generating plant that we could see smoke and smell miles before we got to them.

My wife and I learned that many items we take for granted are almost impossible to acquire for the normal Cuban. We started taking small sized toothpaste, brushes and deodorant but the resort workers only get richer selling them. When we learned that writing paper, colouring pencils and crayons, markers and such were difficult to get even if you had the money we took a bag full to a public school and gave it to the principal. He was thankful but nervous because he didn't want to be accused of arranging the delivery.

I innocently asked a guide on a tour "where does Castro live" and he freaked out. He told me to never ask such a thing or I could be arrested and held as a spy. A local business owner from the city where I live was involved in a car accident where he hit and killed a girl in a rainstorm. She rushed across the street to catch a bus and he hit her. She died from the injuries. She was the daughter of one of the regional police force officers. He was in jail for nearly two years, during which his wife continued to run the business and pay off "taxes" to have him sent home to Canada to serve the balance of his sentence. It cost them a lot of money but he is home and he swears to never return to the Caribbean.

Cool place to visit but as with any foreign country, be careful.

pete

Thanks everyone. for all the great info. I plan to post pics as soon as I get back. I am bound and bent to find an auto wreckers. and a phone book. I challenge you to find white page phone numbers or Yellow page ones that aren't tourist related. I want a Cubin wood grain steering wheel.

Unless you are looking for some parts from the 50's, you wont find any in cuba. The importing of american cars stopped around 1960 (revolution).

Made er back guys. Some great looking old cars. Could not find an auto wreckers. We were in Varedero (?) Never got a chance to check out the frames but the bodies look pretty good. Here is a link to my pics. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10274463&l=1842996f9d&id=762575706
We had a great time and it was about time. The best "Custom" job I saw was a Toyota truck with a 57 Chev front. I never got a pic but it is burned into my brain. The people were great and so were the beaches.

Hi Romeo, great you all made it back in one piece! The beaches are awesome eh?? When I took my boys, (I posted all those pics) we stayed in Varedero as well. Which hotel did you stay at? The facebook link didnt work, but I will try again later.
Steve

Not to make this a political thread but by going to Cuba, you are supporting the worlds longest tenured dictator FIDEL CASTRO who has tortured, abused and kept his people living in squalor for 50 years. He has turned what was once the jewel of the Carribean into a cesspool. If you guys want rum and cigars there are tons of other places in the Carribean to go. And as far as cars go, you can attend any cruise night or car show in Canada or the States and see much better cars then the Cuban ones which are held together with string and bubblegum. Sorry for the rant.:stop:

Quote: Not to make this a political thread but by going to Cuba, you are supporting the worlds longest tenured dictator FIDEL CASTRO

Yea well you just did turn it into a political thread an I think we know where those belong. But while we're on the subject of supporting *** Hole dictators, how about a certain countries C.I.A. support of Augusto Pinochet in Chile or that drug lord Manual Noriega in Panama or I'll just stop now but I think you get my drift.:angry7:

Quote: Not to make this a political thread but by going to Cuba, you are supporting the worlds longest tenured dictator FIDEL CASTRO

Yea well you just did turn it into a political thread an I think we know where those belong. But while we're on the subject of supporting *** Hole dictators, how about a certain countries C.I.A. support of Augusto Pinochet in Chile or that drug lord Manual Noriega in Panama or I'll just stop now but I think you get my drift.:angry7:
You are right demon seed. But nobody here posted anything on Noriega or Pinochet and I didn't see Americans running to Nicaragua or Chile to smoke cigars or look at cars.

You are right demon seed. But nobody here posted anything on Noriega or Pinochet and I didn't see Americans running to Nicaragua or Chile to smoke cigars or look at cars.

Yea I was a little brutal, but if you ever get a chance to go to Chile I'd highly recommend it. Friendly people things are reasonably priced, government is stable for now and tons of cheap excellent wine.

Yea I was a little brutal, but if you ever get a chance to go to Chile I'd highly recommend it. Friendly people things are reasonably priced, government is stable for now and tons of cheap excellent wine.
I don't know about those countries but I love Canada!

Just to comment on the politics ( Mom always said not to talk religion or politics. Oh well.)
While in Cuba we stayed at a great "people friendly" place. Found out that the workers their earned about 35 dollars per MONTH. If you tip one person a peso per day for 7 days you have increased their income by about 20%. Bringing the PEOPLE tooth brushes and tooth paste. hats and other things in no way supports the government but helps the poor that live there.We dropped about 300.00 in tips. This goes directly into the pockets of the poor. I grew up in Prince Edward Island on a small farm with minus 30 degree temps during the winter and no insulation. Those were simple times. In many cases these people are living the summer version of that. Our problem in North America is ; we're spoiled.
As for the steering wheel, i'll have to keep looking. As for the link I'll just post some pics.

-
Back