Cuda Capers: 10-27-07

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The post title should read the beatings continue....

Ever do something, or more accurately NOT do something... and regret it? I sure wish I would have test fitted the Z bar pivot on the scattershield BEFORE I installed everything. It sure would have made it easier to trim the lip so the pivot ball will fit.
Barracuda538-vi.jpg

See all the scratches on the lip if front of the pivot mount? That's where I have to squeeze in there to trim. I have a small air saw I use at work that's all of 8" long that I'll try and get in there, if not, I also have a small right angle grinder that *might* fit. If not, I'm sure you'll all be entertained with what will happen next. Either removing that &^%$%^& left side header, or worst.... out it all comes.

MORAL: Test fit EVERYTHING! I thought I was on top of things and I still screwed up. The pivot mount hits the edge and will not seat against the bracket. If I try and shim it away from the scattersheild it binds the Z bar against the frame pivot. ****!

But there's some good news too. The replacement Pro-Max fuel line fits PERFECT!
Barracuda529-vi.jpg

Again, they acknowledged the mistake and fixed it IMMEDIATELY! Props to Ben and the crew at Pro-Max.

Now I need an opinion:
Barracuda528-vi.jpg

Barracuda527-vi.jpg

Those sexy little billet air cleaners I bought will never fit without hacking a hole in my hood.... so I shot my factory air cleaner lid with a few base coats of body color paint. What do you guys think?

Also one more thing: I want to replace this beat-to-death shifter handle with a longer bench seat specific handle. Mine is 12".... (I wish) and would like 16" (Men are never happy...) Can anyone accommodate me? :glasses8:
Barracuda532-vi.jpg

As always, opinions welcome!

I haven't messed with Hurst stuff except the one in my 64, so I'm not real familiar with the others. Is your handle the type that bolts on or sort of "clamps" into the shifter tower? I have a book called "Vintage Hurst Shifters" & it has a few pages showing different shifters with the measurements of the handles. It looks in the drawings like almost all have the clamp in style handles & I know mine is a bolt on. If it'll help, I can try to scan some pages & email them to you. I'll need an email address.

I haven't messed with Hurst stuff except the one in my 64, so I'm not real familiar with the others. Is your handle the type that bolts on or sort of "clamps" into the shifter tower? I have a book called "Vintage Hurst Shifters" & it has a few pages showing different shifters with the measurements of the handles. It looks in the drawings like almost all have the clamp in style handles & I know mine is a bolt on. If it'll help, I can try to scan some pages & email them to you. I'll need an email address.

Yes, it has a double bolt clamp that holds it to the mechanism on the transmission. If you could forward part numbers it would help, pictures even better.

Thanks for the offer!

e-Mail me: [email protected]

BTW: Wadda ya think on the air cleaner lid?

Now I need an opinion:
Barracuda528-vi.jpg

Those sexy little billet air cleaners I bought will never fit without hacking a hole in my hood.... so I shot my factory air cleaner lid with a few base coats of body color paint. What do you guys think?

Also one more thing: I want to replace this beat-to-death shifter handle with a longer bench seat specific handle. Mine is 12".... (I wish) and would like 16" (Men are never happy...) Can anyone accommodate me? :glasses8:
Barracuda532-vi.jpg

As always, opinions welcome![/QUOTE]

the air cleaner lid looks pretty good like that, but i will have to see it for a while like that before i decide i do or do not like it. as for gettin' more inches outta your shifter, they sell pumps for that:laughing: i have always liked the pistol grip shifters in 70 b bodies. it just looks so tough with that 2 ft tall shifter in there! it means business!

i think the orange lid would look better. almost too much blue.

This is my shifter handle....I should have photographed the other side. It has MISTRESS cast into the handle. My Wife loves it....
Barracuda533-vi.jpg

And the color is Turquoise. My camera doesn't pick up the color too good!

I think the Orange would jump out too violently.... the only other orange is the block. I think the body-colored air cleaner not only ties in the exterior with the engine, it's something you rarely see people do.

Still thinking it over....

I'm using a Mr.Norm's air cleaner from a GSS Demon on mine. I agree with previous post....looks too blue. How about Chrome? I think chrome would go well with your color.

I'm using a Mr.Norm's air cleaner from a GSS Demon on mine. I agree with previous post....looks too blue. How about Chrome? I think chrome would go well with your color.

I'll have to wrap it in aluminum foil, step back, and squint REAL HARD to see if chrome is the way to go. I got lucky with the air cleaners. They cost me $175 and I flipped them for $228! But I'm reluctant to buy ANOTHER air cleaner to "see if I like it". I like the body color, but I know it's going to get scratched by the hood pad.

OK, I'm off to the kitchen.... I'll grab some Reynolds Wrap and head to the garage. Some funny pictures will follow.

That damn car is gonna be sweeeet when you get it done.:cheers:
I like the body color air cleaner lid. Maybe put the factory 6 pack decal on the lid to break it up some, give it some contrast?

Thanks for the scans. I'll do some homework later.... :glasses8:

I'll have to wrap it in aluminum foil, step back, and squint REAL HARD to see if chrome is the way to go. I got lucky with the air cleaners. They cost me $175 and I flipped them for $228! But I'm reluctant to buy ANOTHER air cleaner to "see if I like it". I like the body color, but I know it's going to get scratched by the hood pad.

OK, I'm off to the kitchen.... I'll grab some Reynolds Wrap and head to the garage. Some funny pictures will follow.

Well...where are the funny pics? :D I think a Chrome air cleaner lid will really pop with that beautiful paint.

Well...where are the funny pics? :D

I decided against going to the garage today. I'm feeling a little run-down, and I have to go see some friends tonight, so I spent the day holding the couch down.... Funny pictures tomorrow. Maybe....

I think a Chrome air cleaner lid will really pop with that beautiful paint.

Yeah...maybe chrome. Maybe paint..... we'll see.

I like the colored air cleaner. I agree some 6-pack decals would look good.

I thought you were going with the TTI headers. Are those the cam break in headers? If that's the case you'll have to pull the headers anyways to exchange them for the TTIs.

I have the same scatter shield where the clutch fork and z-bar would have never worked with my 10.5" clutch. That's why I went hydraulic.Good luck getting in there John. We are still waiting for funny pictures.

I thought you were going with the TTI headers. Are those the cam break in headers? If that's the case you'll have to pull the headers anyways to exchange them for the TTIs.

Those are break-in headers. The new TTI's are stashed away... waiting. I don't want to cook the ceramic finish while breaking in the new motor.

I have the same scatter shield where the clutch fork and z-bar would have never worked with my 10.5" clutch. That's why I went hydraulic.Good luck getting in there John. We are still waiting for funny pictures.

I know when I install the TTI's I'll have all the room in the world to cut the sheild, but I want to assemble everything now so I can drive it before I do the TTI install. Besides, I want to do that at work using the lift and the torch. To remove those P.O.S. Hookers...

I'll get in there. It's just going to be a pain in the ***.

OK.... I managed to squeeze my whizz-wheel in between the torsion bar and header and I trimed that scattersheild back the entire 3/16" I needed.... Z bar pivot fits PERFECT! But then I couldn't find the retainer clip that positions the Z bar on the pivots.... and a few clips are missing... and the lock tabs are a bit skanky....

<sigh....> I'm waiting by the mailbox. Again.... :angry7:

OK.... I managed to squeeze my whizz-wheel in between the torsion bar and header and I trimed that scattersheild back the entire 3/16" I needed.... Z bar pivot fits PERFECT! But then I couldn't find the retainer clip that positions the Z bar on the pivots.... and a few clips are missing... and the lock tabs are a bit skanky....

are you talking about the clip that goes over the bar and in the two little holes as well as the end clips? i've got some if you need them.

it never seems to end does it? I look forward to seeing that beautiful ride at Englishtown. :)

it never seems to end does it? I look forward to seeing that beautiful ride at Englishtown. :)

Englishtown would be a miracle.... Carlisle a definite. Either way, you have NO IDEA how bad I want to see it done! 8)

-
Back