Cuda Capers: The End

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a way how I can actually post my feelings. I know I don't always have the right answer, or attitude... at times. But I try to do what I can. I also know some of our membership would love to mix it up with me, but that's to be expected with a group this large. I also break balls a lot... but the one thing I'm sincere about is this; without the input, and help, from our members here my restoration would have been way more difficult than it already was. Parts...Advice....Corrections when I was wrong....a pat on the back when I got it right.... it all came to me from a truly great bunch of guys & gals.

THANK YOU ALL!

And now with the exception of some up-grades (new seat upholstery, dash bezel,trim restoration...) I am proud to announce that the Metal Mistress is.....

FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!!

JonCuda-vi.jpg

SANY0003-vi.jpg

Barracuda007-vi.jpg

SANY0006-vi.jpg

QUICK FACTS:
After searching for over a year to find a clean, solid start, I purchased my car on Friday the 13th, Nov. 1998 for $1,600. I pushed the shell onto a trailer and packed up 11 milk crates full of Barracuda DNA. The car was a retired drag car from Florida that I found in Brentwood, Long Island NY.

I bought 2 parts cars in order to get all the little things that were impossible to find.

One of those parts car purchases led the seller to ask me very casually if I was interested in a 3X2 barrel set up he had for sale. I nearly lost it when I saw what he had! I bought my 6 Bbl. set-up from intake to air cleaner for $250. It cost me another $800 to make it all right, but it was one of the coolest scores I've made in my lifetime. Period.

I spent almost exactly $22,000 from start to finish. I probably have another $1,000 to go to cherry out the interior and other non-essential stuff. I'm starting to save now. Maybe I'll do it next winter.

I've had the opportunity to meet some really great people during this project. There was a while when I always had a piece of the car with me. Either on the coffe table, in my toolbox at work, under the bed, or in my pocket. Last year I was socializing with Steve and Ben in San Francisco on vacation and Steve handed me a few items he had that I needed. This car just became a part of my day-to-day life and the biggest factor that made it all seem normal was my Wife Amy. She put up with things that most women would never have tolerated. The money being spent.... the hours of me being in the garage and her taking care of household chores without my help.... the personal trama and injury resulting from tripping over car parts in the living room; all of it.

I thank her the most. I love you Amy!

Congratulations!!!! :hello1:

I'm planning on restoring my '67 cuda and I hope one day it looks at least half as nice as yours.

Once again, congratulations on finishing her up.

Congrats John!!! Car looks AWESOME!!! And the Capers arent over, the best part of them have just begun, getting to take the fish out for a cruise whenever your heart desires. Look forward to seeing it in person sometime next spring/summer at 1 of the events!!

Your car is absolutely stunning John! Great job, beautiful color, meticulous work!!! Your title to this thread " The End" is just like the Friday the 13th movies.....................should read more like "A new beginning". Congratulations ,now it`s spit and polish time!

Like this?

http://media.putfile.com/HighwayCruise

I had her out for about an hour yesterday cruising with my Buddy Tom. That's his yellow Duster in front of me in the video.

And I promise a nice smokey burn-out before she get's put away for the winter!

Like I've said before, you made an awesome choice on the color........It's one of my favorites of all time.........simply not enough ever made in that color.

Great car Fastback! 8)8)8)8)8)8)

Like I've said before, you made an awesome choice on the color........It's one of my favorites of all time.........simply not enough ever made in that color.

Great car Fastback! 8)8)8)8)8)8)

I have to admit, I came *this close* to painting it Bronze or Gold. But the factory color was so unusual that I had to keep it. Now I'm finding out it was a rare color choice. And as much as I was so-so on the color initially, it has grown on me tremendously!

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

That car kicks *** but I have 3 things...

1. They are NEVER done!

2. Where the hell is my burnout video damn it? :toothy10:

3. Love the stash in the first pic LOL.

That car kicks *** but I have 3 things...

1. They are NEVER done!

2. Where the hell is my burnout video damn it? :toothy10:

3. Love the stash in the first pic LOL.

LOL. I was going to mention that John looks YOUNGER in the more recent pictures.

Nice job there! You can Damn sure be proud of yourself!-

all right way to go.Now time to start just one more. for me one day it will happen right sensezzz.best wishies fron Don aka Snake

=D>You have so much class,
Know you enjoyed the great time you and
Amy had to go through getting this far with your car :toothy7:

I hope I can right a FINISHED post on Victoria in the condition I want her in and do it as meticulously as you.
I understand the parts every where8) and gathering more D.N.A that gets piled up everywhere, I can see parts for the 66 in front of me know.
I have watched a great car get built and enjoyed all the highs and lows.
You have a very strong small block and still hiding some great HP.:shock:
Congratulations John :thumbrig: And well dun sir

Time to write a song, Get one of your fine bass's out and enjoy.:rock:
Thank you for sharing a great experience with me=D> .

Great car and great story John! Sounds like it would make a good book. Looking forward to the burn out too...

Thanks again everyone! I promise that burn-out video once she's settled in a bit. I only have about 50 miles on her so far, if that.

But here's another shot at dusk at a local park.

SANY0005-vi.jpg

SANY0014-vi.jpg

And there it is.... The End.

LOL. I was going to mention that John looks YOUNGER in the more recent pictures.

Believe it or not, that first picture was summer of `99. I was about 40lbs. heavier, and yes.... I still had my 70's ****-star moustache. All in all, not bad shape now for 50. 8)

Awesome car John! I love the color. All your efforts were worth while. I have a question... now what?

Now what? Now I have a NEW part-time job cleaning out the old house and getting it sold so we can buy another house with a proper garage so I can play with the next project that is going to a convertible for Amy and then I'll probably get the itch myself again and.....

Hello, my name is John. I'm an addict. I've been using all my life. I'll never be clean. EVER.... There will always be a car part under the bed or in my pocket. I know I have a problem. Leave me alone. :-D

=SIZE=3]Hello, my name is John. I'm an addict. I've been using all my life. I'll never be clean. EVER.... There will always be a car part under the bed or in my pocket. I know I have a problem. Leave me alone. :-D[/SIZE][/FONT]

:sign5: Damn fine work on that Cuda. Kinda like reading the last chapter of a really good book, or seeing the last episode of a favorite show:crybaby:

Looking forward to seeing it at Carlisle '09:cheers:

Hi John my name is Chris and I'm an addict , I too will never be clean ever ,I am 2years into my 69 Fastback which I painted Turbine bronze because f5 limelight metallic green is just to boring and bland to look at after spending 60k on a 25k-30k car but I love her and am getting counseling from a lifetime mopar guy { 55+ and finished his apprenticeship and got his mechanics ticket at 18 at the family dealership } I know I will never be sane again and don't care . You've done an awesome job guy and I hope to see you on the road sometime

Keep the greasy side down Eh!=D>

Cuda looks great!!!! Question, did you use stock spring height in the rear? and what size tires? I like the stance a lot.

Cuda looks great!!!! Question, did you use stock spring height in the rear? and what size tires? I like the stance a lot.

The rear springs I had made by ESPO's Springs-n-Things located in Easton, Pa. They are 2" over stock, or similar to the factory S/S springs for about 1/2 the money. The tires are 245-60-14 rear and 205-70-14 front. I have a full set of Centerlines for the car, but I store the car where the driveway is VERY narrow with a curb, so I have to keep the tire size reasonable for now....

Here's the wheels with the street slicks that were mounted when I bought them

Barracuda260-vi.jpg

-
Back