Cuda Dilemma

-
UP DATE on the CUDA

I talked to my son and he has pulled the engine and is checking it out.
Obviously wiped out a lobe or two on the cam. A couple lifter bottoms were all ground up. Anyway how much of the metal do you think might have gotten through the filter and in to the bearings and crank? I will post some pics from my phone asap.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the new bearings and crank. Again I'm in Fl and he's in Mo so all I have are these pics. He says they crank looks good and it was just turned 020 on the rods and 010 on the mains. Had less than an hour run time. Bearings are cheap enough, not to change out. Who else has had this issue.
Resized_20190813_192532_8674.jpg
Resized_20190813_192415_1938.jpg
Resized_20190813_192519_5799.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the new bearings and crank. Again I'm in Fl and he's in Mo so all I have are these pics. He says they crank looks good and it was just turned 020 on the rods and 010 on the mains. Had less than an hour run time. Bearings are cheap enough no to change out. Who else has had this issue. View attachment 1715378591 View attachment 1715378592 View attachment 1715378593
I'd put bearings and a cam in it. Wash everything and run Jomar non bypass filters for a while. At the end of the day it's a bit of time and a couple hundred dollars. Or he could clean it up the best he can and see what happens. I've seen worst.

Would your used comp cam work in it? With new lifters of course and bearings.
May as well pull pistons and give them a good look see if crank is coming out.

Gonna get a new smaller hyd cam that he doesn't have to adjust.
I was thinking of that, but he's got the cash let him buy a new one. Plan on going up there in Sept just trying to get parts gathered up for when I'm up there He'll have every thing I need to put it together.

You know, I see alot of people on here saying they wiped out their new cam.
Back in my younger days I would just get what ever used ,new , parts I could get my hands on for street racing and never have an issue. I also have built a whole lot of new engines and never gone through the cam break in procedure. I myself have never wiped out a cam. Just dumb luck I guess.
Yes me too over the years I have put together all kinds of used junk and never had
any of these problems like I hear about now. I believe its a combination of inferior
metallurgy and oil chemistry. I would be afraid to run a flat tappet. The way I see
metal rust now seems different that years ago, it flakes off in sheets not grainy or
powdery like years ago (recycled steel?).

-
Back