Cummins diesel question

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Not an A body question, but I tried to get on Cummins forum and didn't remember my password.

I changed the fuel filter on my truck and since changing it the water in fuel light is on. I drove it to work today and it is still on. If I unplug the sensor it goes out

It isn't the 1st time i have changed it and used Fleetgard filter, never had this problem in the past.

What did I do wrong? could the sensor be bad and is it a dealer only part?

I would like to know where to get a new one before removing the filter and checking the sensor. NAPA does not have them so my guess dealer only, or the cummins repair shop.

...Maybe there is water in the fuel ??
We are finding that there is water in the fuel around here. I would do a little more checking to see if the sensor is your problem before changing it.
I am sure the sensor is a proprietory part.

What year of truck and which Cummins ?

-RPM

...Maybe there is water in the fuel ??
We are finding that there is water in the fuel around here. I would do a little more checking to see if the sensor is your problem before changing it.
I am sure the sensor is a proprietory part.

What year of truck and which Cummins ?

-RPM

Used some fuel to fill the filter that had been in the barn over the summer. Had filled the truck after changing the filter. Also drained the filter after getting the truck running.

My plan is to remove the filter and check the sensor with ohm meter. Change if needed.

My truck is a 95.

View attachment towrig.jpg

My first question was also what year. There are several different designs of WIF sensors over the years. My thought would be that you cracked or broke the sensor while changing the filter. Did you pre-fill the filter when you re-installed it or just used the lift pump to fill it?

HMM, you posted while I was typing. So, you have the last of the spin-on filters. I would say to check the sensor. I don't think I'd have used diesel that had been sitting in a can in the barn for several months either, but I'm VERY picky about my fuel. I've had a couple of friends have trouble with algae and it's very hard to get rid of. Genos Garage has the WIF sensor if you find that yours is bad. Here is a link, cheaper than I would've expected. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3831852-S-WIF-DG.

I work for a dealer... let me see if I can do any good on the price...
-RPM

HMM, you posted while I was typing. So, you have the last of the spin-on filters. I would say to check the sensor. I don't think I'd have used diesel that had been sitting in a can in the barn for several months either, but I'm VERY picky about my fuel. I've had a couple of friends have trouble with algae and it's very hard to get rid of. Genos Garage has the WIF sensor if you find that yours is bad. Here is a link, cheaper than I would've expected. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3831852-S-WIF-DG.

Thanks guys

I was not having any luck looking for it on line, that is why I posted.

Yes, I always fill the filter with fuel when changing. The fuel I have on hand is for the tractor, if it had been a year or more I prbably would not ave used it, but got it this summer when I had the tractor over here and really forgot about it until i needed fuel for the filter.

For $26 I'll go ahead and get one. If the old one is still good, then when changing the filter I can have the new one ready to go on.

So what is on the newer diesels, canister with replacement filter or inline with fittings?

Yeah, the newer ones have a canister type filter. The '00-'02 have one that replaces from the top and I hear is very easy to use. The '97-'99 is a bit of a pain. Here is a picture of mine when I was installing my fuel pressure gauge.

Yes, that's it buried down there under the new fittings you can see.

-
Back