curiosity is killing me

-

shafer

Reaction score
in the early to mid 70's petty enterprises built oval track darts for competition for chrysler. just curious does any of you guys own one if so post a pix

Are you talking about the Petty Kit Cars? There was a guy up the road in Haddock, Georgia, Andy Causey, I knew him pretty good. Was a nice guy. He collected Warlocks, Lil Reds, Midnight Expresses, Super Coupes and he had one Petty Kit Car, but not the kind you ordered and put together. He had the showroom edition you bought from the dealer. Was a real nice car. All of his were. He's dead now. I don't know what became of all of his cars. There are still a few in his yard, but nothing like there was.

This is what Andy had:

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/1978_Dodge_Aspen_Richard_Petty.htm

i worked the parts counter in 1978. i ordered a direct connection part number, got a call from the wharehouse wanting to know if i really wanted a kit car..one little digit off...best part was, dealer cost on the kitcar then was around 10k...boss wouldnt let me keep it :(

no these were darts that chrysler paid petty to build for short track oval racing here are a couple of images of what i am talking about. They were part of the Dodge by Petty program
View attachment 213756

View attachment 213757

Yeah. Those are Petty Kit cars. Those are the bolt together race versions. Remember, I said the kind I was talkin about were the showroom versions? They were all Petty Kit Cars. One was a street version sold to the general public through the showroom and the other was a race car kit you got from the parts department. Two different kinda kit cars, but kit cars nonetheless.

Yeah. Those are Petty Kit cars. Those are the bolt together race versions. Remember, I said the kind I was talkin about were the showroom versions? They were all Petty Kit Cars. One was a street version sold to the general public through the showroom and the other was a race car kit you got from the parts department. Two different kinda kit cars, but kit cars nonetheless.

Ya fergot to mention, way cool, nonetheless....

Ya fergot to mention, way cool, nonetheless....

They are cool. And I would love to have one.

3134673065_ce1362eec9.jpg

i agree they are cool, I would love to own the f body street version seems i have an obsession with mopars adoened with the #43

This is a kit car. Although it's been repainted, this is how they came. The numbers, the windshield hold downs, the big fender flares with the rivets.....all that stuff was part of the package. It was Chrysler's attempt to sell cars again based on NASCAR's increased popularity in the late 70s and early 80s. It didn't work, but it gave us some cool collector cars.

Attachments

• KIT CAR.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 251
Don't think I'm jumpin in here like some kit car expert.....what I know about them will fit on the head of a pin with room to spare....BUT, because I knew someone who owned a few and one at the time of his death, I know what they ARE. So I thought I would at least share that much. I am sure there are many people here who know way more than I ever could about these cars. That wouldn't take much. LOL What I find completely amazing is, Chrysler was STILL finding ways to make performance all the way into the 80s, and it looked GOOD! Imagine an Aspen or Volare lookin that good. Who'd a thunk it?

Here's one an older local guy owns. I think it has something around 5000 miles on it, nope, not missing a 0.

DSC02852.jpg

He also owns this Plymouth Volare Road Runner..

DSC02851.jpg

And this 64 Polara, original Hemi car..

DSC02853.jpg

And a load of others.

Yeah those are cool. People often say "How can a Volare be worth THAT?" But when you look at the production figures it becomes clear.

This is a kit car. Although it's been repainted, this is how they came. The numbers, the windshield hold downs, the big fender flares with the rivets.....all that stuff was part of the package. It was Chrysler's attempt to sell cars again based on NASCAR's increased popularity in the late 70s and early 80s. It didn't work, but it gave us some cool collector cars.
it didn't work because people did not want to drive a car with racing #s on the door, not every one is bo and luke duke lol

Great link. Damn. Did you see those prices? For 10K you got a complete kit, engine drivetrain tires and all. Dammit man.

-
Back