custom console pics??????

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i am thinking about making a custom console for the scamp. it will work with the 4 speed and probably be for bucket seats. so what has been done before? lol i have how i want to do it in my head but cant get it on paper. i am thinking retro look for now so not carbon fiber but wood grain:)
:worthles::worthles::worthles:

One thing you might want to take into consideration is building something out of fiberglass. It's hard to manipulate wood sometimes, plus you can mold pretty much and shape you desire.

It's been a very long time since I last molded a center console, but I used a hard foam block to act as a mold. I used an electric knife and 40 grit pad on my die grinder to get the shape perfect. Then I just layed the fiber glass over that. Make sure you use a gelcoat between the fiberglass and mold.

Keep in mind while you're making the mold that you'll need to mount it some how. You'll need to work in the mounting points into the mold for better strength.

ya thats pretty much what i was gonna do but want that wood grain look. i think at like checker they sell woodgrain graphics so i could do that or paint it or something.

Did you consider starting out with a beat up factory console and modifying it? I picked up an A-body floor shift console as the guy was loading it on his truck the last day of Chryslers at Carlisle. It was beat up, but I got it for a song. I modified the top plate and mounted a Hurst Promatic 2 shifter. I am also removing the ash tray, and thinking about hiding a switch panel for an electric fan override switch ( to be able to keep the fan running while the car is shut off between rounds ), and possibly a line-lock switch or whatever. When the sliding door is shut, it will still look like an ash tray. I went the opposite route, no woodgrain, but repro woodgrain inserts are available cheap if you even start with just the factory top plate and make a custom base. Just an option for you.

i have been thinking about that. its 4 speed so either i would need to do the conversion to inland or make the console around the shifter. i am thinking leave the shifter as is and make the console around it. i have always thought the inland shifter was a lil flimsy if you shift hard. so the factory top plate would not quite work i dont think. but if someone had a beat up top plate for sale or something i would be interested in at least trying to and see how much i would need to cut off.

ok well this is a pic of one. but not the style i want lol. i want it to have a arm rest and the shifter built in kinda lol but you can see how the shifter is off to the side a lot

0601phr_05_z+1970_dodge_dart+audio.jpg

For the woodgrain, all you would have to do is get the surface as smooth as possible and you could use seam tape found at an RV dealer.

I used seam tape to cover some MDF board I used as a base for my fish tank cabinet.

It comes in 6-10" wide and you can get as many feet as you want. All you would have to do is line up the seams to match, like wallpaper.

(This is kind of a bad representation. My cat has clawed up the edges of the tape trying to jump up on the ledge of my fish tank. Little bastid. And, the picture was taken with my phone.)

tank.jpg

there is thread on here that i used to have bookmarked, but i dont anymore...search custom center console (titles only) and there is actually a thread titled custom center console that is about 5 pages or longer i think...one member did a great job with making one for his duster, and there are quite a few good ideas, drawings and dimensions tossed around in that thread...definatly worth checking out...i think it was made out of mdf too

here it is..
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=38122&highlight=console

I have to update it to include pics of it with the shifter sticking through.
I also had to modify the cup holder area and make the front wider to cover where the shift mechanism comes up through the floor. I haven't really finished it yet, I plan on putting in some sort of cubbyhole or something up in the front with a power outlet and some ducting for a rear a/c vent....yeah eventually :)

ok so here is the console after the 4-speed went in...

IMG00596 (Small).jpg

wow that one looks great. did you just use wood and covered it? is that a 833? or a top loader tranny?

i like the idea for the wood grain to. how dose it stick? i have seen it used on some stuff but by the time i got to it it was peeling but it was on furniture so maby rv grade would be better.

wow that one looks great. did you just use wood and covered it? is that a 833? or a top loader tranny?

i like the idea for the wood grain to. how dose it stick? i have seen it used on some stuff but by the time i got to it it was peeling but it was on furniture so maby rv grade would be better.

That shifter is the one that broke...split right down the sides with at HARD shift into second. Yes it's just wood shaped with a dremel, sanded, coated with epoxy and painted silver.

The trans is indeed a 833, HOWEVER, the rod that comes out of the shift mechanism points straight to the right and then comes straight back then turns up to where the handle is...custom made by me it looks like a z-bar when the shift boot isn't there but works nicely, puts the shifter where I wanted it and effectively turns it into a short throw shifter.. :) I have to take it out to put in a pocket and I'll snap some pics of the stick while it's apart.

Nice work Joe! I'll be following suite with some speakers in the console, as it stands now it just sounds funny with all of the sound coming from the back.

I never cared for the sticker wood grain decal,and made some thin real wood inserts.

100_7769.JPG

moparclown,

Great idea. Did you cover the glove box door in the console as well? I've been thinking of trying the same thing. Do you have a drawing with dimensions you'd be willing to share?

Here's a few pics of mine. Superstructure is 1/2" plywood capped with single run of aluminum, painted body color.

console 001 (Small).jpg

console 002 (Small).jpg

console 003 (Small).jpg

DSCF0057 (Small).JPG

^^ interesting design. It turned out pretty cool.

I made them at work in the woodshop,I never wrote anything down.I cut out cardboard templates first and fit them and then cut the wood.I beveled the sides to match the angle on the chrome(hid most of the pitting)I used stainless screws to attach the wood to the chrome,but could have used a good glue also(I like the look of the screws and it allows me to remove it if needed)I also did the door.

5.7Dart, I just noticed your car is in the June 2009 Mopar Action.
Congrats!

-
Back