Custom converter

-

Lustle

Reaction score
So I'm changing the rear gears in the scamp. 3.55 to 4.10. Should improve street manners. And I'll trap right at the top of my horsepower curve. Best of both worlds. Currently running an off the shelf B&M converter setup in my 727. Looking to do it right with the new gears and go with a custom torque converter. Who do you guy's have experience with/recommend? I've heard of yank, protorque etc. But have never ordered a custom one before.

Whatever, you do: When the company tech guy asks what you have,& what you want it to do: be dead on with your expectations,& your actual combination. Hughes,Continental,Turbo Action come to mind for what I have seen work well.I am sure others,will chime in guy. Do your homework, be happy the first time....

I went with PTC, I don't know if the converter is any good, since I haven't installed it yet, but those guys asked a TON of questions
Price was just over 500 shipped

I HIGHLY recommend a 9.5"! Light, fast, tight!

My PTC unit kicks truckloads of ***. Stalled perfectly right off the bat. 9.5" 3500 stall, cruises tight, flashes like a mad man!

The usual suspects around here are: PTC, Dynamic, Turbo Action, Ultimate.

Awesome guys, thanks for all the suggestions. And thanks to transman for PMing me and recommend a guy out of BC. I'll let yah guys know which way I go and how it works out.

PTC is who I trust with all my setups they know how to make a converter work with your setup i have a 9" converter in my street car now and it locks like a raped ape and is just and awesome piece

Dynamic,best you'll get . I have run them for years ! Great guys just ask them what you need for your setup. Their street strip one runs light a stock converter until you wack it then watch your tach go right to the rpm they and you have agreed on ! Every time

TCS in Canada, it that helps.

That's who transman suggested.

PTC is who I trust with all my setups they know how to make a converter work with your setup i have a 9" converter in my street car now and it locks like a raped ape and is just and awesome piece

PTC is someone a lot of guys ran in drag when I used to be involved with racing and such. I'm giving them a very serious look.

Dynamic,best you'll get . I have run them for years ! Great guys just ask them what you need for your setup. Their street strip one runs light a stock converter until you wack it then watch your tach go right to the rpm they and you have agreed on ! Every time

I'm checking them out too. Basically gunna put a quote into everyone and see what comes back. I'm on a budget but in my mind converter is something you shouldn't skimp on.

Whoever you order your converter from, make sure it is the RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR CAR.
Just because a converter worked in someone else's application doesn't make it the right one for your car. Any converter builder worth their salt will ask you a lot of questions to do their very best to get one that works in your car. If they don't ask you a lot of questions, then run, don't walk from them. Ask them about warranties, ask about their policy on restalling your converter if required, and what ever you do don't BS them about what is done to your engine, the diff ratio, tire size, and what you're going to be doing with your car most of the time. Give any converter builder the wrong information, and the converter will be WRONG.
Budgets I understand them for sure, but don't let price be your only guide when buying a converter. Guys spend thousands on the engine, and then look for the cheapest converter/transmission setup, why, I've never understood. With the converter/transmission poorly applied, all that horsepower up front is wasted.

-
Back