Custom Dash--Intellitronix

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my dash I'm working on. Car is a 72...dash is out of a 67 due to mine being too far gone with rust. Dislike factory clusters and wanted an affordable dash. Enter intelligronix 6 gauge Cluster. I know there's another member on here that did an install using factory housing. I'm know there's the "i hate digital gauge" crowd....different strokes for different folks. I think what I'm doing would work pretty good with round gauges as well.....

I also welded in some metal for the climate controls. I'll be doing aftermarket...classic or vintage air.

QUESTION: What glove box doors fit this 67 dart dash?? I want a glove box, but I plan on not using any kind of trip....I want it flat metal with just the knob.

I know I'm a crappy welder....but it'll hold. I'll touch it up some and skim coat it with metal filler. LOL. Dad told me you're either good at welding...or good at grinding.

Attachments

• IMG_2634-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2651.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 511
Well, figured out the aftermarket Climate control head I plan on using requires more surface area than what the factory cutout gave me. So I cut the whole hoo-ya out and welded in some more metal. Progress

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 401
Thought I'd share my dash I'm working on. Car is a 72...dash is out of a 67 due to mine being too far gone with rust. Dislike factory clusters and wanted an affordable dash. Enter intelligronix 6 gauge Cluster. I know there's another member on here that did an install using factory housing. I'm know there's the "i hate digital gauge" crowd....different strokes for different folks. I think what I'm doing would work pretty good with round gauges as well.....

I also welded in some metal for the climate controls. I'll be doing aftermarket...classic or vintage air.

QUESTION: What glove box doors fit this 67 dart dash?? I want a glove box, but I plan on not using any kind of trip....I want it flat metal with just the knob.

I know I'm a crappy welder....but it'll hold. I'll touch it up some and skim coat it with metal filler. LOL. Dad told me you're either good at welding...or good at grinding.

67 valiant glovebox door is smooth steel, with just the knob. No trim holes either.

Welded up the ignition key hole, as my car is a column ignition. Couple skim coats of body filler and loads of sanding. Part of me thinks I'm correcting impefections that aren't my doing, like they're not real straight to begin with....but in any case, it's coming along. A bit more sanding to do...i sprayed it with some flat black so I can see what needs fine tuning. Overall, pretty happy.

The whole premise of doing it this way is it keeps the viewing angle of the gauges just like it was from the factory....lined up with my noodle.

Just got the intellitronix cluster in the mail today. Need to cut the whole for that dude and for the climate controls. Figure I'll whittle a standard DIN sized hole for the radio while I'm butchering it.

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 415
I think if I was going that far I would have gone ahead and closed up the ashtray hole too.

Unless you actually plan on using the ashtray.

Just a thought.

Looks really good so far, keep up the good work.

I think if I was going that far I would have gone ahead and closed up the ashtray hole too. Unless you actually plan on using the ashtray. Just a thought. Looks really good so far, keep up the good work.

Yeah...I was thinking about that. I don't really have a need for an ashtray per say...but wanted a place to throw stuff. These old cars are seriously lacking in storage. Same reason I'm keeping the glove box.

And really, it wasn't a ton of work. Part of the reason I'm digging this idea so much. Just 2 pieces of 90deg bent sheet metal stitch welded in. The filler is a PIA, but as much bodywork as I've done I'm getting pretty decent at it.😜

Hey JL captain, nice looking car from tye view i can see of it. Show some more pix. BTW I am located in Abilene TX.

Matt

Hey JL captain, nice looking car from tye view i can see of it. Show some more pix. BTW I am located in Abilene TX. Matt

Hey Matt...thanks!!! I'm on the road now traveling. Maybe when I get back. It's a 72 swinger with a 69 front end....not sure if I'll catch grief for that or not😳. In any case...it's a shell as is. Lots of work still.

Captain, good work, I have the individual gauges from them.
Dont worry about your welding great minds think alike.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo396.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 316
  • WP_000058.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 283
-
Back