Custom HeadLiner

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda and I really don't like how the existing headliner works. I want to make a custom headliner but I am unsure of how.

I do have a couple of ideas. I was thinking I could use several pieces of flexible board like Luan and glue some foam and headliner material to it. If I cut the luan right I can "pressure" fit it into the channels along the door and use the original securing points in the front. Sun Visors and Rear view mirror. I could also use some small loops in the back and use the tension rods from the headliner to secure the back ir maybe some panel clips.

Anybody have any other suggesting or ideas or things I may be missing? I am creative mostly but this is new to me.

JH,
There is a material called HIPS (high impact poly styrene) it is heat formable and epoxy will stick to it. however contact cement (or any solvent based glue) will dissolve it. It is the same material that EPS is made of.
you might want to consider this as an option. The pics are of the raw material after I heat formed it.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo407.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Photo408.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 125
I like it a couple of questions. It appears you fastened it to the roof somehow. In the cuda I don't much to fasten to. What did you do? Also when you say it can be heat formed do you mean like heat gun or hair dryer or oven or what? Thankfully I do not have anywhere near the area you have. And one last question I did a search on Google but it looks like they are looking for large quantity orders. Where did you find it? Would I sign shop have it maybe?

In my case there is a cross member that the dome light was attached to going left to right. As part of my mods I put it two fastening points going front to back for the overhead console I have yet to make.
Yes I formed it with a HF heat gun ($12) and blocks of wood to press it in place.
Forming a sheet this size is a two man job.
You should try local plastic suppliers. sign shops may be able to help you find it.I had to buy an 8'x4' sheet was about $20.
Andrew

I used that corogated plastic that looks like cardboard (they use it to make sign's out of) somewhere in my gallery is pic's......

-
Back