Custom package tray?

-

LandonE

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm thinking about making my own package tray and then wrapping it after. Has anyone made a custom one and what materials did you use?
Pics are also a plus!

I will probably make one my self since mine is missing.
I would do the following, get a thin piece of paneling or louan. Make a pattern to fit.
Go to the local fabric store and pick out what ever matches the interior.
Glue the fabric to the board using 3M Super 77 adhesive.
Wrap the edges under the board and staple / tack it to hold it.

I made my own, got materials from home depot, Masonite board its called i believe

I did the Home Depot Masonite thing too. The backside has a texture similar to original. I had Home Depot mix a quart of paint that matched the painted interior color. I think it looks good!

Made mine outta 1/8" Luann plywood,then cut a Mopar Emblem out of 1/4" luann,glued that to the first one.I'm going to cover mine in light weight black vinyl,but you could use any material you want,I chose vinyl for easy cleaning purposes,Good Luck

What do you guys think about using MDF?
I've made sub boxes out of mdf, and think it would work good.
Thanks for the info guys

Masonite would be better, but it is very similar to work with. MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard I think. Masonite is much higher density and has more binders in it I think, so the same thickness can be much stronger. But they are both the same thing, a bunch of saw dust pressed and glued together.

My door panels are being made out of abs plastic, as well as the spare cover if there is enough material. Don't see why the package tray could not be made out of it also.....

ABS door panels sounds like a good idea. How much is that going to run you? I would need 4. What are you going to cover them with, and what are they going in?

Build my own. Went to the upholstry shop and bought the material they use, a HDPE material about 1/8" thick. Covered it with 1/2" foam. Build plywood speaker mounts 1" larger than the speakers 1/2" thick. Covered everything with the material I had left over from my headliner install which I found out later was supposed to cover the sun visors. I vinyl-dyed all the plastic in the interior to match what I wanted. Here is an installed photo.

Attachments

• PkgTry1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 191
  • RPCwide.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 194
ABS door panels sounds like a good idea. How much is that going to run you? I would need 4. What are you going to cover them with, and what are they going in?
They are just going to left uncovered. Arm rest bases will be molded onto them due to the fact that the roll cage tubes that pass thru the door opening are in the way. I will have pictures of them as soon as they are done. As to the cost, I have no idea what the materials $$ was. I owe the guy that is cutting them on his table saw a case of beer. They will be going into a 69 Dart.....I will find out what the sheet of abs cost.

Masonite is a brand name the product is "Tempered Hardboard" and it's the product to use for package trays.

It also works great for door panels, and rear side panels. It's what the factory used for these peaces, covered with the interior fabric, of course.

Even the spare tire cover was made of "tempered hardboard" (Masonite).

A custom car builder buddy of mine did my 1974 dart in black viynl with 3M spray glue came out looking great, and didnt cost me a thing :)

I like these...
customreartray.jpg

cleandeck.jpg

-
Back