Custom rear spoiler for the Missile

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Here is the next bit of WTF.
I know some of you will hate this, but its something I've been seeing everytime I looked at the car.
I always wanted a rear spoiler, but I did not like the look of the Go wing or the ducktail spoilers, and the trailing edge of the trunk lid always looked like it would make a cool spoiler. If I had a spoiler I wanted it to develop a fair amount of down force so it was useful not just there for looks.
Well I picked up a rear hatch from a Chrysler Crossfire and used the retractable spoiler mechanism to make one out of the trunk lid's upper skin.
I had to extend the shaft and plate for the mechanisim adding 17" to the 19" support points.
There is still alot of metal to put back sealing the trunk, but the mechanics are all worked out. It raises and lowers quite smoothly.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo243.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Photo244.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 994
  • Photo246.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 956
  • Photo247.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 991
  • Photo250.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 960
  • Photo249.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 998
I've got no problem with it. When I saw the pics my first concern was with sealing things up & you say you're working on that so hammer down!

You did a nice job, but I think I will wait till it's finished to comment. ( Have to see it done.)

That is really neat! Way to think outside the box. I cant wait to see pics and a video of it on the car. GOOD JOB

Here is the next bit of WTF.
I know some of you will hate this, but its something I've been seeing everytime I looked at the car.
I always wanted a rear spoiler, but I did not like the look of the Go wing or the ducktail spoilers, and the trailing edge of the trunk lid always looked like it would make a cool spoiler. If I had a spoiler I wanted it to develop a fair amount of down force so it was useful not just there for looks.
Well I picked up a rear hatch from a Chrysler Crossfire and used the retractable spoiler mechanism to make one out of the trunk lid's upper skin.
I had to extend the shaft and plate for the mechanisim adding 17" to the 19" support points.
There is still alot of metal to put back sealing the trunk, but the mechanics are all worked out. It raises and lowers quite smoothly.
Andrew
You know the dc spoiler is functional. That being said your idea is kind neat! Are you going to set it up that it will only come up after a certain speed is reached?

I have to say that's a handy bit of fabricatiin' there.........Great thinkin'........

It's gonna be great to see this develop.......8)

Tin,
Ive only been on this for a couple of days, Ill keep you posted.
As far as deployment goes there are three modes, manual, at speed "X", and braking. All accomplished with a single relay. It will automatically retract when the vehicle is shut down.
70- whats a dc spoiler?
Andrew

This is a great idea and I'd like to see it finished. You may even be able to "sell those plans" to someone who would want to do the same thing!

Tin,
Ive only been on this for a couple of days, Ill keep you posted.
As far as deployment goes there are three modes, manual, at speed "X", and braking. All accomplished with a single relay. It will automatically retract when the vehicle is shut down.
70- whats a dc spoiler?
Andrew

Dc= direct connection spoiler this is the "duck tail" spoiler. The same one on DustAAR

Direct Connection spoiler...

DSC00681.jpg

Definately unique.......interested to see how it turns out

Andrew, you continue to forge new trails. Good work!

Very nice! Can't wait to see it finished, but I give you serious points just for coming up with the idea and pursuing it. You might definitely have some interest from others depending on how the final version works out.

I do have a question though, how are you planning on making it activate at speed (or, are you?). I'm guessing that on the Crossfire there's an input from the computer that takes care of sending the signal to activate it at a certain speed. Since our cars don't have anything like that, are you rigging a speed sensor, or just making it manual?

Yes 500, the mechanism is from a Crossfire.
72, Since Im running a completely digital dash, Ive contacted the manufacturer to see if there is a way to get the information from the spedo.
Andrew

Missile you definitely have a different way of looking at the world. Been following your build with a lot of curiosity to see what you will dream up next. Some of your ideas I scratch my head at and others I find down right ingenious. Keep it up!

very cool as soon as I saw the first pic my brain was yelling CROSSFIRE! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50"]YouTube - Crossfire - Full Commercial[/ame]

-
Back