Customizing a rally dash

Should I keep going with this dash

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Mullinax,

I was thinking of using the AutoMeter Street Rod MCX gauges that you have used in your dash. I love the look of your dash - how hard was it to retrofit the gauges?

Thanks,

BlindSquirrel

had no dash in mine, heres my first attempt! im going to re do it an ally.........................oh and lose the "titanic" steering wheel.........and those seats??? what was i thinking

cuda 010410 006.jpg

Mullinax,

I was thinking of using the AutoMeter Street Rod MCX gauges that you have used in your dash. I love the look of your dash - how hard was it to retrofit the gauges?

Thanks,

BlindSquirrel

If you know how to use a dremel tool and take your time you will be ok. The plastic opens will have to be enlarged for the MCX to fit. Be very careful not to take to much out!!! You will have to just about remove enough material that the MCX gauge will almost fall through the opening in order to get the gauges to lay flat. I used the metal frame that is in the back to hold the gauges and cut out any of the metal frame that was not to be used or in the way. Its not that bad actually.

First of all i would like to thank you for all of your input on the dash.I have to answer some questions that was raised.I am going to finish the dash.dartboy69 I have a barracuda not a dart.wishforhemi it dosn,t matter to me if the dash is reproduced or not.I am not a numbers guy and I like little changes but kinda keep the stock look.Georgegerhard I am running a viper 6speed trans so the speedometer is electronic.Kocuda once again we must think alike.Your dash gages are just what I want my gages to look like.I like it.The only thing is that I am going to keep my heater and a/c controls.A/C is going into the car.Ptdartfreak NO I can,t sell the dash to you HA HA.But I have two rally dashes that I am going to put on sale hear before the week is out.One is a 68 and the other one is a 70 dash.4spdragtop the aftermarket don,t make a rally dash that is custom.The only one that had a custom dash was rocky mountain dash and they went out of business.The people that have them for sale want a to much money for them so it puts me in a position to cut mine up. SuperT.{I say cut whatever you want as long as the end result is done well} Well said.Thanks to everyone for you inputs I will take more pictures when the other gages come in. Mark

A question for you guys or gals who have installed Autometer 5" "in dash" spedos/tachs into a rally or 67-69 cuda dash.
I'm assuming by studying the previously posted pictures that they will slide into the existing openings and are supported by the bezel ring of the gauge? If not what mods are required?

On my dash the tach went right in and the speedo I had to cut the hole larger.The fuel gauge went right in.This is the pictures and the back .I am going to sand the bezel smooth and go up to eastwood to see what thay got for paint. Mark

dartcuda1 is that fuel gauge 2 5/8" or the 2 1/16"? I'm doing the same thing on my '74 Duster but with Autometer carbon fiber gauges. Carbon fiber is kinda my theme for the interior and I'm in the process of collecting the pieces for a modded rally dash. Picked up a damaged bezel from another member this morning and scored a '70 dash frame and wiring harness for free this summer from a friend's friend who was forced by his county to scrap about 7 a-bodies. Damn shame there was a lot of good parts left on those cars but we got there late in the afternoon the day before the wreckers started hauling them off.

Did you use the metal gauge housing and if so any mods needed to clear the spedo or tach?

Well I see that you posted a nice picture showing the back of your cluster. Don't know how I missed that before. Just senility setting in I guess.

This is exactly what I had in mind. Anyone know if this bezel will fit a non rally dash IF all the factory gauges and A/C controls are removed?

BTW Looks fantastic guys!!

Yeah They do. If not they look damn close.
I'd really like to know if a rally dash BEZEL would fit on a NON rally dash frame if the bezel had nothing in it.

No the cutout for the rally instrument cluster is longer so the dash is different to include the mounting tabs location. While it is possible to modify a standard dash to fit a rally unit it would be a project and you better be able to weld well. I researched doing this a while back until I lucked out on a free rally dash frame. They are available pretty cheap on ebay, in fact there are a couple on auction now. Search using "barracuda dash". I'm not sure (FABO members help here) but most a-body dash frames interchange 67-76. The problem is getting a instrument cluster. Complete and operational units needing refinishing go for $125 up over $300 and the bidding is fierce. I've bid on 7 or 8 over the past few months with no luck. I've had better luck (and prices) just asking here on FABO. Keep an eye on the for sale section or post a wanted add. Also do a search for "rally dash" for tons of info on modifying a standard dash and custom dashes based on the rally unit members have built.

-
Back