Cut-out fenders on dart?

-

4flats

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just signed on today.

I wanted to get a few opinions about cut-out rear fenders on darts ... superstock style. I have been kicking around the idea of building my '72 in the style of a vintage trans am racer, think AAR dart. Cut out fenders, IMO, look great on hemi darts, but this would be stock height or lower. It would sure simplify wider tires.

Love it or Hate it?

I am not going to say that I hate it because it is yours to do with what you want. I personally would not do it (especially with a later model Dart). If you had a '68 and wanted to mimic a SS car - ok fine. If it's a matter of housing wider tires (and depending on what size tire/wheel combo you want), I would consider (from easiest to more involved methods): wheel backspacing, offset hanger kit, spring relocation kit/mini-tubs, full blown shortened rear axle assembly/tubs. Good luck.

Every modification that we make to our cars is a matter of personal taste, that's what separates the hot rod from just another restoration.
That being said, simply taking a sawz-all to the wheel well might look pretty hack.
It would be best if you were to form a new fender lip after making the cut. I remember seeing in a magazine many years ago where a guy used tubing welded to the edge of the opening to create a lip. The result looked pretty good in the pictures.
Another approach that I have seen on some customs, is to re-shape the rear wheel opening to match the front fender opening, perhaps using sections cut from a second set of fenders. Actually this is a long-winded way of saying; it's your car, build it to suit your vision.

I appreciate the response, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I havent made up my mind on it yet. In fact, there's a lot to be done before bodywork. Just looking for fresh points-of-view.

One more example of why I joined FABO - people can express differing opinions without insulting each other!

"Anyone can learn from their mistakes, but a wise man can learn from the mistakes of others"

Not a big fan of the cut out fender look unless it is a full on clone or the real deal 68 Hemi Dart. I also think that it would effect the resale price and desirability of the car on the negetive side by a wide margin for most people.

i think a minitub or just make new wheelwells that are bigger inwards under the car looks alot better, but i like the look of a big tire hidden behind the fenders so to say
also think it is alot less work to minitub and move springs in under the framerails compared to just cut up the fenders if it also needs to look good, but thats my thoughts its your car and you do what you want to do with it :)

There is a thread on here, where on of our members from Germany used patches from a duster. It actually looked pretty good. Although this guy has unbelievable skills. I also agree you will greatly hurt the future valve of the car, but it's yours and I would do what I wanted with it.

68 HEMI GTS has them duster front fender openings grafted in to the quarters also...looks awesome...

I think the darts look better with the fenders nicely cut (for drag or pro street type of look). The 67,68,69 FB B'Cudas can look really weird (from certain angles) with shorter tires on the back. The large window and rear quarter area overwelm the shorter tires. I so want to radius my fishes rear quarters. I think the SS cars look so much better with the large tire in the back (again for 1/4 mile, pro street type stance).

I've been looking to do something similar, a dirt track car look. I've been looking into using duster rear wheel openings and grafting them on in place of my scamp wheel openings.

-
Back