cutout on console?

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
my 74 duster has a console, and on the passenger side it has a piece cut out on the corner close to the drivers knee where it begins to neck down at the spot between the shifter plate and the console door. my dads 70 duster does not have this cut out... does anyone know why some of the consoles have the cutout and some dont? see photo it has the same corner piece cut out as my duster
attachment.php

my 74 duster has a console, and on the passenger side it has a piece cut out on the corner close to the drivers knee where it begins to neck down at the spot between the shifter plate and the console door. my dads 70 duster does not have this cut out... does anyone know why some of the consoles have the cutout and some dont? see photo it has the same corner piece cut out as my duster
attachment.php

Hey! That picture is actually the console from my car. I think the cut outs are only from original 4 speed consoles. Automatic Consoles can be made to work with a different top plate. The console from an automatic has to be completely removed to get to the 4 speed shifter. No need to do that with an automatic and that might be why it has no cut out.

See this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=61684

That console appears to be a 66-69 style console as it does not have the button for the glovebox door and is silver/black and not woodgrain. As for the cutout, the Hurst shifters have a jog at the base that require the console to be notched to clear the shifter and the Inland shifters go straight up through the center of the shift plate and don't need the notch. It appears you have the Hurst shifter. Is your car an original 4spd or was it converted?

Joe

That console appears to be a 66-69 style console as it does not have the button for the glovebox door and is silver/black and not woodgrain. As for the cutout, the Hurst shifters have a jog at the base that require the console to be notched to clear the shifter and the Inland shifters go straight up through the center of the shift plate and don't need the notch. It appears you have the Hurst shifter. Is your car an original 4spd or was it converted?

Joe

4 speed and console are original to this car but it is an early 68 and it did have an Inland shifter. I changed to the Hurst. The Inland had some funny bends to come through the same location.

Sorry 68formulaS I thought the pict of the console was from the original posters car. That is why I asked if it was original or not and why I told him what year it was. I finished my response after you had already posted yours. I guess I was wrong about the Inland thing to. Nobodies perfect.

Joe

-
Back