Cutting down an axle tube

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I posted in the wrong forum, this is the right place

I thought I would post pics of the B-sectomy.
After measuring the axle tube and figuring out how much needed to be removed from the length of each side I blued and scribed two lines around the tube with the amount to be removed between them.
I also scribed indexing lines on each side, and cut out the sections to be removed with a 4" grinder.
I then used an old woodworking trick for clamping dowels.
Using two pieces of angle and four long hose clamps i reassembled the pieces. I lined up the index lines and left enough space between the angles to get really good surface welds on two sides of each half (tacks).
I then removed all the angles and ground a double fillet (vee groove) along the seam where the tacks were not.
I was careful to measure the depth with a set of mics and went 80% of the thickness of the tube wall.
After welding the groove, and making sure there was good penetration past the bottom of the groove, I ground off the tacks and repeated the process where the tacks were.
I setup the seam to be further reinforced by the 4 link bracket on each side, which will span the seam.
Andrew

Photo037.jpg

Photo035.jpg

Photo038.jpg

wow, pretty neat. now I know who to contact when I'm ready to whack my rearend. (wait, that didn't sound right...)

I havent had a moments time to work on the car, Ive just been getting in materials I have ordered to complete the rear. I have a new posi,all the disk brake stuff, the sway bar,and I have to order the 4 link bars.
Andrew

First of all I asked joey to remove the other post which was in the wrong forum.
Secondly, PH
before they made the jigs, they did the process. And have been doing so, say since the fifties. Look Im not doing this for other people, and if welding on your axle will ruin it and make it useless, I RUINED MINE A LONG TIME AGO WHEN I REINFORCED IT.
Now back to jigs and fixtures:, As a machinist and mold maker, I agree that a jig or fixture is the way to go for repetitive tasks. But there are times that it takes more time to make a proper jig or fixture than to just do the job.
I will agree with ALL of those who state that my rear end is not LASER straight. It wasnt from the factory and it isnt now. But I will say that it is just as straight as when I got it from Daredevil.
Look people have been cutting down their axles and building HOT RODS since LONG BEFORE you and I were around.With or without jigs.
I just posted this in case someone didnt have the money and really needed to do this on their own.
Andrew

You will never get it, just don't think it's good idea to mislead others into thinking that they can narrow their rear like that and have the same thing happen for them. You said yours is fine, and I say just like others have stated in the post you had removed pure luck, if it's true. It's true housings are not straight from the factory, but the center section and the housing ends are, because they use a jig. When you cut the axle and re weld it the way you did the ends will no longer be straight with the center section because of the housing not being straight. This misalignment will cause your axle bearings to fail prematurely and the tire to not track straight, if you can even get them in.
As far as distortion goes their will be distortion when you weld on the housing or any metal, that is why they weld all brackets and mounts before the ends. Jig's have been around a lot longer than you think, it's just because there are so many DIY today that the jig's are being sold and not just for the professional builder.

-
Back