cutting out inner fenders? replacing/removing PS?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to start cutting on my 71 dart and have lots of questions?

I want to remove the inner fenders but that leads me into how to connect the upper shock mount to the cage and is that even the thing to do? At that point should I just be looking at coil overs and ditching the T bars?

How have you gone about this? What parts did you use and how did you do it?

Power steering box, sucks and is in the way big time. What parts to change over to rack and pinion?

I don't want to go through all this work and find out I should have just done it right the first time.

I would like to just have a D shaft with a pillow block and no real steering column, any one gone this route? How dangerous is this? I do have 5 point harnes and full cage, do I still want a collapsible steering shaft? (Race car)

Thanks for all the time and advice.

The shock mounts are part of the frame and there is only about 6 spot welds in that area. I have seen people tie their out of the firewall,connect to it then proceed to the front of the frame rail.

Run forward strut bars off your cage like I showed you a pic of yesterday, that will support the shock tower. If you go to coil overs you could just buy a kit like myself or HDK make and that comes with a re-reinforcement for the shock tower. I personally would rather tune a coil over than a torsion bar set up at the track.

Got a link to your coil over kit?
I was looking at the magnum force kit today.

you're installing a full roll cage right? the front longitudinal bars go through the fire wall and intersect the shock towers - weld 'em right to them - (there may even be an NHRA rule about this) I have mine set up that way - also, still have ALL the original front suspension - K-frame, T bars, everything - - currently even the UCA's are original.
Even with the 360 using TTi headers, the power steering had to go - if you don't want to get all involved with rack and pinion, convert to manual.

Yes ,full cage. Motor is a RB 440, so it's gonna be tight...

Should I wait to put in the front bars until I test fit the 440?

you could go that route - you gotta do what works for you.. these cars came with big blocks so it will fit... I am sure you'll find there is plenty of room. Most shock mount tie-ins I have seen either go just over the top of the mount or slightly behind it -- just watch for shock clearance

-
Back