Cylinder head question....

-

konrad

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....Does it matter which cylinder head goes on which side of the motor? I took the cylinder heads off to have hardened valve seats put in, but after the estimate and possible problems that might happen to them, I decided not to go through with it. They were cleaned and checked for cracks.I did pay attention to which pushrod went where, but didn't pay attention to which head was on which side, or which rocker bar and rockers went on which side either.Am I going to have any major issues just reassembling the motor and not having payed any attention to these details?Thanks

The heads can go on either side, no issues there.

The pushrods are all the same, no issues there.

NOW, when you install the rockers/shafts look at one end of the shaft, there will be a notch on one end.

The notch must be toward the front and down on the driver side.

The notch must be toward the rear and down on the passenger side.

If you don't get that part right you will have oiling problems.

Head gaskets "might" confuse you, it will appear that one is upside down, that's normal, as they are both the same. Just line them up with the dowels.

When you pulled the shafts/arms did you do so as a unit? It is easier that way. There is a specific way they go on the shaft so they line up.

AND BTW the only dumb question, is the one not asked!

Badsport/bruce has ya covered. BUT if it makes you feel better, the ds head MAY have stampings/numbers on the front face of it

-
Back