Cylinder wall thickness

-
Just curious, what made you decide on 470 instead of 500 or 512? I've been contemplating the same question with my 66 build.

Just curious, what made you decide on 470 instead of 500 or 512? I've been contemplating the same question with my 66 build.

My heads are the deciding factor! I already have a set of 84cc eddy rpm heads. 470 is about as big as a stock port window will support efficiently. That and is a better bore to stroke ratio. I also like the 470 because the bob weight is nice and lite. I would just do a 451 but my dad has one and I gotta go bigger! I want my dart to go 10.00 on pump gas. Driving to the track and with a 17" rim. I know it's a very lofty goal but god damn would that be some bragging rights

Is that a red hair? Short and curly?

The red ones are more on the .0015 -.002, and are not part of this discussion. :)

I love how people stand up and proclaim their intelligence based on answers to questions from Trivial Pursuit. Beat on a guy because he is calling a bore size .002 big or small. Guy probably can't even measure a bore to .002 accuracy.

Brian

It's all good man. Just wait till I get the numbers! Then the **** show begins. I like think this topic could really use some exposure. Allot of misinformation out there. Will be nice to see this topic progress

It's all good man. Just wait till I get the numbers! Then the **** show begins. I like think this topic could really use some exposure. Allot of misinformation out there. Will be nice to see this topic progress

Are you going to do a separate thread on this build? You do a fine job explaining stuff! For what it's worth!

Are you going to do a separate thread on this build? You do a fine job explaining stuff! For what it's worth!

I will do a build thread. I have been working my *** off (60-70 hr weeks) to get the funds together. I have enough for the short block but I hurt the transmission last time out at the track. Going to rebuild the trans first. Then do the short block. Plan to switch to Holley terminator EFI also. Hope to have new engine running EFI in time for next season

Excuse me? I wasn't beating on anybody. Either information is right or wrong. When talking about cylinders and or sleeves, yes, .002" can make a difference.

Ad as far as reading a mic, I've been doing that since I was about 11. I think I have it down pat.

Excuse me? I wasn't beating on anybody. Either information is right or wrong. When talking about cylinders and or sleeves, yes, .002" can make a difference.

Ad as far as reading a mic, I've been doing that since I was about 11. I think I have it down pat.

I think as far as the discussion was concerned, .002 didn't mean DICK, and you were just "peacocking" around with your "vast" knowledge. So again, .002 doesn't mean anything as far as what the OP is referring to.

Carry on.

Brian

I think as far as the discussion was concerned, .002 didn't mean DICK, and you were just "peacocking" around with your "vast" knowledge. So again, .002 doesn't mean anything as far as what the OP is referring to.

Carry on.

Brian

Absolutely not. You took it totally the wrong way. I meant nothing of the sort.

It is similar to everyone saying the stroke on the 400 is 3.38, but it is not. It is 3.375. When discussing machining tolerances I simply try to be dead on, because I never know what someone is trying to do. As I mentioned, in the case of a cylinder sleeve, for instance, .002" can be the difference between a fit or a fallout.

Absolutely not. You took it totally the wrong way. I meant nothing of the sort.

It is similar to everyone saying the stroke on the 400 is 3.38, but it is not. It is 3.375. When discussing machining tolerances I simply try to be dead on, because I never know what someone is trying to do. As I mentioned, in the case of a cylinder sleeve, for instance, .002" can be the difference between a fit or a fallout.

.005 of missing stroke? Oh the horror.

For the record, I don't believe I called you out. I believe you quoted me.

As I mentioned, the dude was talking about a relative bore increase, not a bore size to bore to for piston clearance.

I am well versed in fits and tolerances, perhaps you missed the "title" under my User ID.

Just sayin. :)

Brian

For the record, Ive never been a fan of the "low deck motor"

I have always built stroker motors so the taller deck RB's makes it easy to change the compression weight in the piston and increasing the rod length to match.

RB engines always had a goofy large compression height compared to the other 2 brands.

Brian

.005 of missing stroke? Oh the horror.

For the record, I don't believe I called you out. I believe you quoted me.

As I mentioned, the dude was talking about a relative bore increase, not a bore size to bore to for piston clearance.

I am well versed in fits and tolerances, perhaps you missed the "title" under my User ID.

Just sayin. :)

Brian

I didn't call you out. I replied to an insult. I simply explained to you that my original post was a serious one, not meant in a smartass way at all. Nothing more.

I don't know what the deal is hear, but you can keep the snide comments out of it. That kinda thing serves to help no one and that's all I was trying to do.

Just got a call from the machine shop! Block is a beast! Thinnest wall on thrust side is .164 next thinnest is .194 rest are at .200 and above.

-
Back