Cylinder wall weld??

-
Take a torch to it, that will tell you if it’s JB weld, braze,or something hard like nickel, won’t take long.

You can't grind the deck surface of a block, it has to be taken to a machine shop and milled down
you absolutely could.

i wouldn't try it with a grinder. but knock down the big ugly with a file and then use paper on a rigid block, slowly and methodically working your way up thru grits should give a satisfactory finished product.

i may get dragged for this, but a composite gasket might be a call for use here. a good MLS gasket would probably be fine TBH

Hello gentlemen, I guess I will step in on this post. These types of repairs are kind of iffy but seem to work ok on cast iron. I found out that if the block etc. is super clean and ground out, heated up well, and come in with a Tig machine with a 1/8-3/32 499 nickel rod that has had the flux knocked off and polished works very well and lays in great. Myself, i would source a different block/head. someone has to keep the antique's running! I just went out to my shop and my weld directory is missing, might double check on that welding rod number. Good luck, John

Machine plugs wpuld have been better, but I don't know the situation .

Either have it fixed, run it... or have it milled to flat and gamble

Furthermore, I like 2% thoriated tungstun 1/16" dia. but you may have to go to 3/32". pure argon shielding gas at 10-15 inches. i claim old and forgetful. Pick up a weld directory too.

IMHO, that is definately not JB nor brass. Appearance is like stainless so it is nickel rod. You need to be careful.with cast iron as it can crack at the edge of the weld as it cools. You must take steps to stress relieve the area. I could see preheating the area and using a tig with a nickel rod to fill the low spots. Best to have an experienced welder do the job, and then take the block to a machine shop to have the deck surfaces milled to the same height and probably bore and hone to size. Might be able to get away with diegrind the high spots of the weld and a light hone.
OP says he found a 5.9 Magnum so that is a good way to go. Welding and machining will be more than the good Magnum.
Take a torch to it, that will tell you if it’s JB weld,
Take a torch to it, that will tell you if it’s JB weld, braze,or something hard like nickel, won’t take long.

braze,or something hard like nickel, won’t taklo

-
Back