D$mn steering column removal...

-

DQ81

'73 Dart
Reaction score
am swaping out manual for power steering.

Can't even get the origional column out :( GRRR!

At the end of the steering shaft where it slides over the shaft of the steering box it won't budge.

Where I assume a pin should be is a tubular something stuck in as a 'retainer' but it has become completely one with the housing and I cannot for the life of me get it out.

I've broken 2 screwdrivers so far trying to whack it out....guess I'll try heat tommorrow and if that don't work drill it out although it seems to be made of the worlds toughest material...

Anyone ever have fun like/with this before?

BTW Am I going to have remove my header to get that steering box off? I am aren't I.....lol

am swaping out manual for power steering.

Can't even get the origional column out :( GRRR!

At the end of the steering shaft where it slides over the shaft of the steering box it won't budge.

Where I assume a pin should be is a tubular something stuck in as a 'retainer' but it has become completely one with the housing and I cannot for the life of me get it out.

I've broken 2 screwdrivers so far trying to whack it out....guess I'll try heat tommorrow and if that don't work drill it out although it seems to be made of the worlds toughest material...

Anyone ever have fun like/with this before?

BTW Am I going to have remove my header to get that steering box off? I am aren't I.....lol

The pin in the coupling is a simple roll pin. Suggest Kroil or the best penetrating lubricant you can find in the Netherlands. (WD-40 is not a penetrating oil). Let it soak in. I use a hole punch that is a little smaller than the roll pin and use a BFH (2.28kg ball peen hammer). Process never has failed me. Don't know if you're going to have room for this method header in place.

a short 3/8s bolt and a c clamp and a socket works also. grind a half inch of the bolt thread thin enough to fit inside the pin and position socket on other side and use clamp against bolt and socket and tighten clamp. bolt will push pin into void socket creates. i use this same technique for u joints with a vise a 1/2 inch socket and a 1 inch socket using the 1/2 inch as the pusher instead of the bolt. good luck.

thanks guys,

after alot of messing around and penetrating oil soaking in over a period of days, the roll pin has finally come out.

Although I wonder if it wasn't a simpel case of wrong tools being used. I was using a circular file or a screwdriver to try and tap it out that had an ever so slightly too large diameter in retrospect. Once I used a smaller hole punch it came right out :-\"...

However NOW after much pulling and tugging half of the column is out...the half that slides over the output shaft of the steering box is incredibly stuck.

The roll pin is out but that thing will not budge, I suppose it will be more penetrating oil and perhaps heat to get that thing loose...

It seems to me that whenever I try to 'upgrade' something this car fights me every single step of the way.

Can't wait to get started on my intake and cam upgrade! Lol...

Anyone ever have on of the b@stards get stuck this bad? You can't really hit it from any angle either 'cause the box is in the way.

There should be another pin on the other "open" side of the coupling that goes from the outside sticking in. It holds the guts into the pot coupling. If you pry that pin out you can take the coulum out that way.

thanks guys,

after alot of messing around and penetrating oil soaking in over a period of days, the roll pin has finally come out.

Although I wonder if it wasn't a simpel case of wrong tools being used. I was using a circular file or a screwdriver to try and tap it out that had an ever so slightly too large diameter in retrospect. Once I used a smaller hole punch it came right out :-\"...

However NOW after much pulling and tugging half of the column is out...the half that slides over the output shaft of the steering box is incredibly stuck.

The roll pin is out but that thing will not budge, I suppose it will be more penetrating oil and perhaps heat to get that thing loose...

It seems to me that whenever I try to 'upgrade' something this car fights me every single step of the way.

Can't wait to get started on my intake and cam upgrade! Lol...

Anyone ever have on of the b@stards get stuck this bad? You can't really hit it from any angle either 'cause the box is in the way.

First off forget the heat, you'll ruin the seal in the steering box. use penetrating oil and tap the collar back and forth while prying it off with a pry bar.

Ball joint seperator was the tool for the job.

NOTHING else worked, not heat, not penetrating oil etc.

Ball joint seperator had it off with three taps of the hammer :)

-
Back