D.O.T. slicks will not pass

-
And to think I used to run Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials on the street back in the late 60s.
Worked like crap on snow but they sure were fun when they warmed up.

Of course, todays temporary spares are probably better.

I can't believe some parts of your country have no inspection! Here we have to get one every 6 months! And threy can be quite fussy too. Even a rust hole the size of of a dime (Thats the small coin aye?) will be enough to fail.
Luckily I have buddies who do the inspections, so I get a pass, and a list on a seperate sheet of paper of stuff to fix for next time. you guys don't know how good you've got it. MInd you, without our rules, there would be some complete POS clunkers on our roads. (I have a few of them in my driveway lol)

we have smog inspections in Ca, but nothing about safety.

Apparently in backwards land, it more important that the engine not create too much C02 as it slams into another car/guardrail/etc

Our only emissions test is a visual one to see if it blows any smoke. I think the standard is worded "doesnt produce any smoke for more than 10seconds" or something like that. Although if you do an engine upgrade you may have to pass the CO2 reading that the car the new motor is from when it was new-if it was new enough to have a known CO2 output. (Only effects guys with turbo imports really)

We used to have inspections, but it pretty much got to be a joke, seems like there got to be two kinds of inspection stations, one would just slap the sticker on the windshield, the other would beat the crud out of the vehicle, case in point Dad tells of taking his late 60's Jeepster in for inspection, the inspector gets going about 30 and jams on the brakes, trying to lock up the wheels, keeps doing this until he gets all four wheels to lock up, then refuses to pass it due to the brakes. Law enforcement can issue tickets for unsafe equipment (I think they have to have a reason to pull you over first) and we do have an occasional safety check point, where they check the basic safety stuff(lights horns etc.)
If you really wanted to fight it contact the tire manufacturer,they may be able to help. about 15 years ago, on the circle tracks here, Hoosier GT street radials where the tires to run(rules said it must be a DOT street tire), some tracks reused to let them run the GTs saying that they weren't street leagle, rumor was that if the track refused the GTs, that you could contact Hoosier and the track would be getting a call from one of Hoosiers lawyers.

-
Back