Dads old 56 CORONET

-

chuckstirrr

Reaction score
dad passed away 10 months ago he was wanting to make a street-rod out of his old coronet. He passed away before he finished his car, mom gave the car to me , heres what I need to know, I'm going to update the car with a 360 and 727 trans out of a 1979 dodge pickup. Does anybody know what the old 1956 318-wide block and trans is worth - motor ran good did'nt smoke - trans worked good. Any information about the car and related parts would be very help full. My 71 340 duster is an A-Body what body is the coronet? Thanks for any information on this car

sorry to here about your dad. (lost mine 2 years ago) your coronet is a B-BODY

I dont think the A B E designations picked up till around 1960 or so since most all the 55 to 59s are the same size

Why go thru all the work to have a run of the mill 360 when the poly runs good.Poly would have some cool factor.

The poly motor interchanges with parts from a LA motors,so you can upgrade cams,pistons,ignition,carb,water pump,etc.A four barrel intake is avaiable and many other parts,mrmopartech

The poly motor interchanges with parts from a LA motors,so you can upgrade cams,pistons,ignition,carb,water pump,etc.A four barrel intake is avaiable and many other parts,mrmopartech

NO IT DOES NOT!

Poly has even spaced ports meaning cams are entirely different! The poly is a good engine though and performance parts are available. There is an article about one being stroked that's a few years old. I believe the name of the article was "Rodney Dangerfield" because the poly gets no respect.... but it should!

Was there a 318 polysphere in 56?

They are correct though. IF that's what it is, you can rebuild and upgrade. A FEW parts will interchange between a poly and an LA, but not many. And there is a new 4V intake available for them. I would consider contacting the people at hotheads. They deal with early Hemis, and would probably be a big help to you.

I just did some quick research and it seems there wasn't a 318 in a 56 Coronet. There was a 270 V8, a 315 V8 raised deck, a 315 Hemi raised deck, and a D-500 engine which could have had a 4V or 3-2's.

It should be a 270", same as mine. You can bolt on Hemi heads (only the small cid Hemi's though)... It's not as easy as just bolting them on though. The 270 is a good engine, but nothing to brag about. The value is much, I know I wouldn't want another one laying around even though I'm going to keep mine when I start to resto/rod mine. In a perfect world mine will end up with a 440 and a 5spd. I'm sure i'll end up with a 4spd for a while. You could check out forwardlook.net for more info. I would say most of the people over there lean to a bone stock resto. though, but they have alot of good info and are good people. If you need any help feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to help if I can. Are you going to keep the hood and trunk trim?

-
Back