Dakota 5 speed in a body

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
HI PEOPLE
I have seen people selling 1992 5 speed transmission out of dodge dakota that had 5.2 and they say you can bolt this up to a 318 or 340 but takes a cross member mod to do so . Has anyone done this ? is it worth doing ?:violent1::violent1:

Put AX15 in the search and you will get a couple hits would have cut and paste but Ipad is a pain. Hope this helps

HI PEOPLE
I have seen people selling 1992 5 speed transmission out of dodge dakota that had 5.2 and they say you can bolt this up to a 318 or 340 but takes a cross member mod to do so . Has anyone done this ? is it worth doing ?:violent1::violent1:

from a performance aspect, i wouldn't bother. As a cruiser, it would work pretty well(depending on how it fits in the trans tunnel.

The transmission in question is a NV1500/2500 that was used behind the 3.9 and 5.2 liter engines. This is a five-speed The NV1500 was used on Dakotas and Ram 1500s, the NV2500 was used on the non-HD 2500 Rams. Fifth gear is an overdrive, unlike the Richmond 5-speed.

What I can like about the NV transmission is that it has internal shift rails. In my experience internal shift rails provide better feel than external shift linkages. If I were to use this transmission, I would probably want to shorten the lever. While it would tighten the throws, it would also increase the shift effort.

What I don't like is that the bell housing is integral with the transmission case. The gear ratios of both NV boxes are better suited to trucks rather than cars.

Here's a comparison

......NV1500.....NV2500.....TKO500.....Passon

As the comparison indicates, the NV box have an exceedingly low first gear aka Granny gear. This is especially true of the NV1500 (the one most are trying to sell). This is great if you're in a loaded truck pulling a heavy trailer. Not so good for driving in traffic. It requires an engine with good low end torque to make the jump from first to second.

Suggest you find someone with this transmission in a V8 Dakota and see if they will let you drive it for a few miles. I don't think it will take much more to see if you like the feel of the shifter and whether you can live with the gear spacing.

after hearing more about it i don't think i would do it . thanks

the r154 is from Toyota Supra Turbo and uses the same housing as the Dakota tranny. Just different Bell and better ratios. Had it several years behind my 340 and now behind my 6.1 Hemi... there is a lot of info here. Use the search

Actually 2 Darts, the ax15 and the nv1500 are 2 different transmissions. The ax15 came in the early 3.9 Dakota's and the trans and bell are desperate pieces. I've got one from a 92 Dakota sitting in my shop that I'm gonna be putting in my Duster, hopefully this summer.

We'll see! :D if it does I guess it does. There's ppl that run em behind hotter engines than mine (unless mines hotter than I think!!) and run em for years. Then again, I know nothing about these trans other than what I've found online.

-
Back