Dakota rear end in a Dart? HELP!

-

smallzdart

I wish it was 1972
Reaction score
So I know the obvious on this but was just curious want rear ends i can up grade from the ole 7 1/4" rear that...has had an un certain history. I have a early 90's Dodge Dakota 8 3/8" which i know from past excerience (lots) that they can take a beating, and i can eaily get a Ford 8" real easy just want some ideas and opinions. Facts on car 73 Dodge Dart 4 door, 318 cammed and opened up, beef 904 and in hard on the right pedal lol

Chrysler 8 1/4, 8 3/4 dana 60. You might have to cut them down for proper length.

I'll be curious to see the answers on this because I have 3 of the Dak's sitting in my yard, one is a parts truck.

As far as what you can upgrade to. The 7-1/7 can be nicely substituted by the 8-1/4 for some $$. 8-3/4 for more $$$$. The 9-3/4 Dana 60 for $$$$$$$$$$.

Plus there is also the 8.8 exploder swap, pretty appealing with low ratios and LSD's BBP and disc brakes.

The dak's I'm gonna automatically guestimate the pre 93's will be the easiest to use because they have 5X4.5 bolt patterna and heavy duty drum brakes. 1993+ is 6 lug BP

You will have to go 1990 and older for the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. 1991 and newer had 6x4.5" pattern. I swapped a 1995 and a 1996 Dakota over to 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Just get axles and rotors for a 1987-1990 Dakota and have at it. I do believe a Dakota rear is a little wider than an A-body though.

There was a pic of a CL Dart on here a couple weeks ago that had a Dak rear end in it. You might search for it.

If you could find a 74 and back dodge halfton , alot of them had the 83/4 in them .I had two halfton,s back in the day and they had them , any junk yards around these old trucks should be still avail.

yep thanks for the link this answers my question....even if its to wide....offset rims fix that and i have 15x10s with 6x4.5 pattern thanks guys

-
Back