Dakota transmission questions

-

IL duster

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Dakota Ax 15 transmission to put in my 360 duster. I have a question as to what flywheel I will need to buy. I know that I need a external balance for the 360, however I have been getting some conflicting info as to what flywheel I will need. From what I have read there are two different flywheels, either a 130 tooth or a 143 tooth. Does anybody know which flywheel I would need to get?

I know its a truck transmission and isn't performance oriented. But I need a cheap overdrive transmission and it seems that I can get this going fairly cheap. Again any and all advice is welcome.

Dan

Ok sounds good, are there any stock flywheels with the external balance and 143 teeth?

You can easily find a flywheel out of an older 360 Dodge Ram truck. They are the 143 tooth variety. I don’t know if the 5.9 Magnum versions can be used however. Play it safe and find a pre-Magnum flywheel. You understand that to drop an AX15 into a Duster, extensive cutting and welding of the floor and tranny support is involved…..

Greg

major floor surgery involved, same with the dakota automatic transmissions (A-500/A518)

I figured that extensive cutting and fabricating would be necesssary, and that is no big deal, I am prepared for that. Can I use the starter that I am using now with my 727? And does anyone know how the speedometer would hook up? Thanks for all the help.

I figured that extensive cutting and fabricating would be necesssary, and that is no big deal, I am prepared for that. Can I use the starter that I am using now with my 727? And does anyone know how the speedometer would hook up? Thanks for all the help.

use a dakota mini starter and save yourself 10 pounds or so of weight, but yes you can use your huge starter if you wish.

the speedometer will hook up if you use your speedometer adapter from your old transmission; depending on what year dakota you use it may have been electronic speedometer (started in 1994)

I already have a light weight starter so that is good that it will still work. The transmission I have from the Dakota is from a 1999, so is there any way to change it over to a regular speedo cable or will I need to use a aftermarket gauge for the speedo?

Anybody have any idea about what I would have to do to convert the transmission over from the electric speed sensor to the manual cable type for the speedometer? Thanks in advance.

Dan

-
Back