Dallas native 1967 Dart GT Convertible.

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
I figured it's about time to show some of what's been done, where I'm at, and generate some additional motivation.

I've had several classic cars, but most never saw completion for various reasons. Two Mustangs, a 66 and a 65 (I do still like the fastbacks, these were the hum-drum coupes), a 1966 Dart 270 that fell by the way side mid build due to military service, a 1969 C10 stepstide (swapped from a 350 to a 454, would have been fun), and then in 2012 my buddy forwarded a Craigslist ad for a 67 Dart. I always loved the 67+ Darts. I had actually been looking around for a Belvedere, thinking a big car with a big block would be fun. No matter what, I really dig the Mopar bodies.

Anyway, I couldn't pass this car up. Very nice body considering the age, all original. The previous owner had it for about 5 years. The 273 2bbl engine was seized. He had already pulled it along with the trans. He told me how he wanted to "pep up" the 273, but I wasn't going to spend the money to rebuild an engine on a 273 (he seemed a little disappointed that I wasn't going to keep the original baby V8). I ended up getting the car for $3000, I think he was asking 3500.

Had it towed home and tossed the drivetrain stuff in the corner. Even though it had the 7-1/4 rear, I was impressed that the original owner had coughed up the ($12 I think) dough to get the sure grip. The car still had the 1978 inspection sticker and 1975 plates. No rust, and it seemed to have been garaged for many years, thank goodness.

My buddy tries to keep me on track, and he did a pretty good job. Just get it on the road was the goal, and I did. Right off the bat, I had to replace the fuel tank, other usual items like brakes, new fuel line, etc. All new suspension components, new tires for the 14" wheels, grabbed some dog dish caps since I dislike full wheel covers and didn't want to buy SBP wheels knowing a BBP swap would be in the car's future. The same buddy picked me up one day and pretty much insisted that I buy this engine from Craigslist. We go and check it out, the guy pulled it from a Charger. Now usually I'm skeptical of used engines and transmissions, but he had the car there and said he just wanted a big block, and it did have a fresh 383 in it. Under the valve covers was very clean so I took a chance. $500 for the 318 with iron 4bbl intake, carter 600, 727, all with a claimed 2000 miles since the Chargers's previous owner had had them rebuilt. I ended up selling the 727 and rebuilding the original 904.

Now that I'm almost 3 years in to this project, I'll just start posting some of the pics. It was inspected, running and driving, but thanks to a stupid mistake on my part, being a first time 904 rebuilder, I had to pull the trans. At that point, I didn't want to pull the drive train again so I decided to start on that paint. I'm relying on a friend's kindness and spare time to do that, so the going is a bit slow. We're getting there, and I've decided to go ahead and do the disc swap, 8-3/4 swap and new wheels while it's sitting around. Hopefully soon we'll be able to pull it out for body work, paint it, and then a new top. After that we're so close to done!

Next up, pictures of progress. Here's the one from the original Craigslist ad.

Attachments

• dart1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 494
$500 318. I swapped on an old Weiand intake, rebuilt the Carter 600 and added a new fuel pump. It came with a factory elec dist so I bought a stock ign box from O'Reilly and wired it up. It actually fired up and ran good when I got it in. Oh it came with headers too :)

Attachments

• engine_318_03_zps29e17c27.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 456
  • engine_318_01_zpsf49bf340.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 466
  • suspension_front_05_zps025c176c.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 461
  • engine_318_04_zps38a8c61e.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 474
  • engine_318_02_zps2be2516d.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 474
Pulled out everything from the front. Cleaned up, painted a lot of pieces with POR15. New brake shoes, cylinders and hardware (the ultra high perf 10" type), drums weren't awful and didn't need to last forever, so they just got scuffed with sandpaper. Various other stuff..

Attachments

• suspension_front_02_zpsc419080e.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 454
  • suspension_front_06_zpse28e49e7.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 461
  • suspension_front_03_zps8a2c2fdc.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 473
  • suspension_front_04_zpsd35ce38f.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 450
After a little driving I experienced some weird popping in the exhaust. The car was SUPER slow of course, stock 318....after consulting FABO it was decided that I had some cylinder head issues. I pulled them and a couple of the exhaust valves were bad/cracked. Seeing that the compression was so low, I tracked down the guy that bought the 273 and bought the heads back from him. They were in sad shape, but if I was going to pay to rebuild heads I wanted to go with closed chambers. I used the guide here to port them myself, had them milled for clean up and a 3 angle valve job, also installed Comp springs, swapped over the valves from the 318 heads and replaced the bad ones. Went ahead and installed a Comp XE268 cam and lifters at that time. I probably left some power on the table with the porting, as this was my first time and didn't want to over-do it or ruin anything. I also used Mr Gasket head gaskets, about half the thickness of Felpro. I home cc'd the chambers and estimate compression at about 8.6:1. With the old heads and gaskets it was looking like something around 7.4:1. Oh yeah, don't forget 273 Four Barrel emblems to replace the "V8" badges!

Attachments

• 273_heads_1_zps917c1c72.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 273_heads_porting_03_zpsa5f4d2d9.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 450
  • 273_heads_porting_08_zps6649cb51.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 444
  • 273_heads_porting_11_zps1a2602d4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 436
  • 273_heads_3_zps86fa8362.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 273_heads_4_zpsec7523b5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 428
When I pulled the drivetrain to fix my transmission issue, I decided to paint the bay. After buying the original yellow, I my paint & body friend agreed to do it for me. At that point I said hey, let's change color and paint the whole car, so I have a quart of yellow wasting away on the shelf now. We're doing the car in Twilight Turquoise, which I thought was very cool to be an original color and only came on Darts in 67.

Attachments

• paint_002_zps754f1daa.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 420
  • 57405BDD-482E-4037-8B82-ABD6F4C95272_zpskm7wwnhh.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 425
  • 6FBACAAC-186C-41FB-936B-519D6E3AE25C_zpskycdg6jo.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 417
  • 7B8DE077-EB6D-47F7-AFE8-1051CB6C983B_zpscwmxhj5y.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 420
  • paint_003_zpsd03df823.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 427
Somewhere along the way I rebuilt the manual steering gear box, and installed the MP lower ratio worm gear. I also switched from Mopar ignition to an HEI module, and finally settled on an Accel 300+ and also switched from the Carter to a Holley 650 (haven't run it in over a year, so haven't driven with those yet). Oh, new headers too, I can't handle those old style ones and finally bucked up for ceramic Doug's. That hurt the wallet but they're pretty dang nice I think. Painted the Weiand manifold and a set of M/T valve covers. I'd prefer plain finned but can't justify the cost most of them go for, and I'm not big on the MP version so M/T it is.

4EF293E3-C0D3-4F7F-9807-4FD1E14577ED_zpsppqlapgb.jpg

awesome work man..

Welcome to the neighborhood..

Bruce

awesome work man..

Welcome to the neighborhood..

Bruce

Thanks, your '69 is looking good. Love the hard top Darts! I never thought I'd want a convertible but the lady said she likes the drop tops. Between me having a 66 before and her first car being a 73 Swinger, I figured a 67 vert would be a nice cruiser for us.

More paint work. I think that color looks incredible in the sun.

3A36C5AB-D12E-499B-B2E7-B03D7E961F75_zpsbqkyvoqk.jpg

Re-did the exhaust about a million times in between all of this. After it was done and I had to make some changes for the new header, the mig I'd borrowed wasn't available. I ended up with a cheap tig since I needed to do some stainless and aluminum on my other car.... I'm actually impressed that I'm able to use this thing at all! Too bad about butting up against the cut and ground mig welds :p

B85D626E-5727-4415-BBAE-556BBDA2423B_zpsv1dbvuha.jpg

Getting some of this out of order. Just went all in with BBP/Disc/8-3/4 swap. Pulled the like new front drum assemblies today, took hours cleaning up the inner fender suspension area. Painted rusty spots with POR15 and top coated with flat black epoxy. Wheels came in, now I'm getting excited.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 360
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 365
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 359
Some progress today, got the front end back together and converted to factory 10.95" discs. New rotors look ugly, have to wait to move it for the pads to scrape the excess paint off. Glad I sprung for the extra $ on Raybestos Pro Grade rotors, only to find they're made in China. Would've bought the ones that were almost half the price if I'd known.

FullSizeRender_zps765cc04c.jpg

Been working on the other end. New ESPO 6 leaf stock height springs, Prothane bushings and Dr Diff offset hangers. Picked up a set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval "Indy 500" tires in 225-45-17 front and 255-45-17 for the rear. All the tires are mounted up and I'll be starting on narrowing the B body 8-3/4 for this thing.

10349199_1054700634556069_4372113225791250388_n_zpsad06f1ea.jpg

Had the B-Body 8-3/4 housing narrowed to 50.7", set pinion angle to -2 degrees and I welded up the new perches. I wasn't super happy with the appearance of the work that the narrowing shop did but it's straight and not really visible, I guess I'm just picky. Finally ready to paint this and get it under the car..

8.75-03_zpsqiuruida.jpg

8.75-01_zpscmlawd5n.jpg

8.75-02_zpsj2emqbee.jpg

Coming along beautifully. You'll be drivin in no time. Great color.

Happily things are moving along, new housing and brakes are installed, need to see if I can get the gears set up this weekend..

8.75_zpsgnp3rlj9.jpg

We sprayed the dash with black epoxy and top coated with Hot Rod black. My friend was able to emulate the original texture pretty well. It's not exactly the same, but better than having to buy expensive paint just to shoot the little dash. I had the plastic parts re-done a couple of years back and have had them sitting, just waiting for this day ;)

dash_zps3wjzjjll.jpg

Looks great! :prayer: Just an FYI if you get a vibration in the rearend when you start driving it.......the center hole in the new spring perches are much bigger than a stock centering pin in the leaf springs. It can let the rearend get cockeyed, and cause it to vibrate because the rear of the car is dog tracking. I didn't read the whole thread, and you may already know about that. Just didn't want you to be surprised if you didn't, and it happens. Keep up the good work! :D

Looks great! :prayer: Just an FYI if you get a vibration in the rearend when you start driving it.......the center hole in the new spring perches are much bigger than a stock centering pin in the leaf springs. It can let the rearend get cockeyed, and cause it to vibrate because the rear of the car is dog tracking. I didn't read the whole thread, and you may already know about that. Just didn't want you to be surprised if you didn't, and it happens. Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks for the kind words all!

Yes, I noticed that and I've seen people weld a bushing in there to down size the hole. On the other hand, it seems that the shock mount plates center on the bottom side anyway and keep the rear end in place and I've seen a lot of guys run that way.

I figured we'll give it a shot, worst comes to worst I have to tack a bushing in there if it decides to move around from all of that 318 power!

Hey....you never know. It may be one of those rare 318 Mini-Max Wedges! LOL. My buddy had that happen to a 67 GTX, and we like to have never figured out what the deal was. Of course, he had a 528 cubic inch Hemi with a 4 spd! He got a friend of ours who's a machinist to make the bushings, and he tacked them into the perches. End of problem. Thanks for posting your build. My wife has a 69 Dart GT conv. that needs to be restored. She's kind of tired of it though, and has been making noise about selling it. Maybe I need to show her how nice yours is turned out. :D

Finally set up the gears yesterday. Couldn't wait to get the car back on the ground. The new 3.55s and TrueTrac should be a bit more fun that the 2.94, even though it was a Sure Grip!

Picking up the driveshaft from the shop tomorrow, hopefully get her out of the garage in the next week or two so we can get down to some real paint business..

100_1939_zpsnjvnxc7i.jpg

Dash is finally back in. Did a lot of wiring modifications. Ammeter bypass, added wires in the bulkhead connector for tach signal, oil pressure gauge and electric choke. Also added a pair of relays for the convertible top switch and a relay for the electric fuel pump. Just need to finish tidying up the wiring and that should be all ready to go.

dart_dash_zpso1mygtlq.jpg

-
Back