dam should have looked

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
so i tore the motor apart becasue i was bored took about 1 hr so i should have guessed for the worest and it was..... water in one cylinder with some oil some cylinders have corosion on them that orange stuff so the motor needs to get cylinders honed and bored and i dont even know if they pistons are forged there flat tops and have notches pointing towars the front there are pics ill get up asap

DusterBoy15, remember when you first asked about this engine and I gave you the answer below?

DB15, Is engine still in vehicle where you can hear it run and maybe do a compression check? If not, will the guy guarantee it to be a good running engine with no problems? What does a gasket rebuild mean? Not a bad head gasket I hope, seeing as that could mean other problems. Who did the rebuild, if any, on engine? What work was performed? I would be cautious when buying a used engine. Check it out thoroughly. JMO, Mike

End Quote

You can't trust alot of people out there to tell you the truth. You have to thoroughly check everything yourself, or get someone to check it for you that knows their stuff. I personally would go back to guy you bought this engine from and tell him to return 2 or 3 hundred because he told you engine only needed some gaskets. You can buy junkyard 360 blocks for a few hundred all day long. Just my opinion. Mike

Well, you may as well drop the pan and check everything out at this point. Is it on an engine stand? Is there a big lip at the inside top of the cylinders? Maybe your best bet would be to get an engine person to look at it for you and give you opinions on what should be done. Once again, just my opinion. Mike

Yup, your right Mike. My first buy was a 318 and trans from a high school for 600.00. Suppose to have been rebuilt..(maybe it was) but by a group of kids...:roll:The instructor flash it up and she ran good:evil4:..but only (for about 40 miles) after it was put in the car. The lower end was totally toast! blown bearings ect. I guess I should have asked if it was rebuilt with any new parts:banghead: Again rebuilt perhaps, but only ripped apart and slapped back together. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way. Just about any bought used motor with no paperwork or testing should be re-built anyways in my mind or your looking for added headachs down the road...which really sucks.

tore the oil pan down theres no metal shavings but there is gunk in there from oil and water and i believe there are some lips were the piston hasent touched

tore the oil pan down theres no metal shavings but there is gunk in there from oil and water and i believe there are some lips were the piston hasent touched

Yes, that should give you an indication of your cyl use just by the sight..If never re-built before I bet your bearings/jounals are in need!

there not lips but i mean you can tell were the piston hasnt been

I'm not sure if your trying to talk yourself out of something or not? If I were you I would take measurements and ask or have someone in the know take a close look at it to be sure. All the talk in the world can't change anything on the guts of it. I know it just sucks to put something back together just to have something else go down the road....then it's back out motor again. The fun of car hobbies I guess.

no im not but like it does look like a lip would how could i tell if its the kind of lip your talking bout?

no im not but like it does look like a lip would how could i tell if its the kind of lip your talking bout?
You need a cyl inside micro guage, take a reading and subtract that from your true bore size. That will let you know how many K it's worn down. Someone here should know the limits if it's warn down too much.

DusterBoy15, remember when you first asked about this engine and I gave you the answer below?

DB15, Is engine still in vehicle where you can hear it run and maybe do a compression check? If not, will the guy guarantee it to be a good running engine with no problems? What does a gasket rebuild mean? Not a bad head gasket I hope, seeing as that could mean other problems. Who did the rebuild, if any, on engine? What work was performed? I would be cautious when buying a used engine. Check it out thoroughly. JMO, Mike

End Quote

You can't trust alot of people out there to tell you the truth. You have to thoroughly check everything yourself, or get someone to check it for you that knows their stuff. I personally would go back to guy you bought this engine from and tell him to return 2 or 3 hundred because he told you engine only needed some gaskets. You can buy junkyard 360 blocks for a few hundred all day long. Just my opinion. Mike

You may want to have your father go with you to talk to this guy. Sometimes, people take advantage of youth and inexperience.

because you cant make any kind of contract weather verbal or what with a minor and the guy said it was rebuilt with forged pistons and jsut needed gaskets....luckly i was bored and tore it apart today

hmm dont got one of those the school i went to did but there closed maybe someone localy has one and is willing to help me

because you cant make any kind of contract weather verbal or what with a minor and the guy said it was rebuilt with forged pistons and jsut needed gaskets....luckly i was bored and tore it apart today

Yes, that is correct but taking any action otherwise is a PITA. You would have to go the small claims route and that process leaves something to be desired.

yes and i might if this guy doesnt do something becasue my brothers a lawyer and will go through how he cant make a contrat with a minior and shouldent have said the motor was one thing when it wasnt

-
Back