Dammit! I need some help here

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
Ok so this weekend i finally get around to rebuilding the carb on my 76 dart sport the good ole 1 bbl holley and since i did that i figured i should drain the old gas outta the tank. I drop the tank since the gas had pretty much turned to varnish but i kinda figured as much since the car was only 500 bux. And low and behold the tank looks perfect from the outside not even surface rust. So i figured just drop it pour out the gas and clean out the fuel line and reinstall. NOPE! the inside of the tank is covered in rust the car was basically out of gas when it was parked so now it need a new tank, sending unit and prob new fuel line and fuel pump im guessing.

Its a 1976 dart sport w/slant 6 but im planning on swapping in a 383 i have the engine and mounts ready to go but i havent tracked down the other parts for the swap yet(like the disc brakes, 8 3/4 rear ect....)

Where is the best place to get a new tank, sending unit , filler neck grommet ect.....?

also do i buy the 5/16" sending unit or 3/8" unit since its gonna be a big block car soon but prob not till later in the summer/fall?

:help:

Ebay, the dudes username is neweanglandmustang. He has the best deals and ALL of the parts. He combines shipping and I got some good quality parts. I could not be any happier actually.

If the metal of the tank is sound, you might want to try one of those tank reconditioning kits from Eastwood. It is a two-step process, if I recall correctly. Any of you guys have experience with one of these?

If the metal of the tank is sound, you might want to try one of those tank reconditioning kits from Eastwood. It is a two-step process, if I recall correctly. Any of you guys have experience with one of these?
YEA I WOULD CHK INTO RECON YOUR OLD TANK AND CHANGING OVER TO LARGER LINE, A LITTLE ELBOW GREASE GOES A LONG WAY, YOU CAN CLEAN IT AND RECONDITION IT,SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR OTHER THINGS,A BUDDY OF MINE DID HIS WITH A PRODUCT FROM OREILLY'S AUTO STORE, NOT SURE WHAT HE USED BUT WILL FIND OUT BRAND AND GET BACK TO YA, TURNED OUT WELL AND DIDNT COST MUCH..........YOU MIGHT CHK WITH YOUR LOCAL AUTO STORE FOR RECOMENDATION ON THIS, YOU CAN FLUSH OUT EVERYTHING ELSE OR GO WITH LARGER FUEL LINE, WHICH IS WHAT I AM DOING AT THE MOMENT, WAITING ON A ROLL OF ALUM LINE FROM MANCINI RACING..................

Well, this is kinda crude/old school, but what we used to do was throw a length of heavy chain in the tank, get a buddy to help you. Shake the snot out of the tank with the chain inside until your arms are ready to fall off. Stop, have a couple beers or cokes or whatever, bs about cars for a while, then repeat. This will usually get most of the crap out. Oh yea, when your done...take the chain out.

oh yea, and put some varsol or something similar in with the chain. You dont need alot, just a pint or so to help carry the crap out when you pour the chain out.

What George said and when you run new fuel line place a couple of inline filters between the tank and engine ata location that will have easy access. Just in case. You really don't need larger fuel line unless you'll be running some incredable horse power.

i looked into having the tank on my 69 cleaned and coated it was way more than a new tank from some guy on ebay. i couldnt be happier with the new tank.

remember the video of the guy that put his truck or car on blocks and strapped his tank to the rear wheel with rocks in it? That was hilarious but he said it worked!!

im gonna try to save the tank speedway motors who is local has tank sealent and an etcher so im gonna give it a try either way im getting a new sending unit and gotta do something with the line

I used the Eastwood kit on my Plymouth Fury tank and it worked well I also did like Small Block said and put two filters in and there was a little bit of junk still in the tank but the first filter caught it all. It was still working when I sold it

-
Back