Damn did I get screwed, my own fault though

-
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head.

But $8750 for a used Grand Cherokee I can afford, 35 to 40K for a new one, that I cant afford.

That seems a bit steep for an 05 Grand, at least for this area. My brother in law paid about that for his 3 or 4 years ago. He has since traded it in, for the same issues as yours plus a LOT more, I think the dealer gave him $1400 for it.

The trans is the Mercedes trans, so expect to pay a fortune ($2k+) to get it fixed, if it is actually a problem. There is a separate computer for the shifter of the trans on those that commonly goes bad and that's all it takes to fix it. Although most shops will tell you that you need and entire trans rebuild instead of just fixing the computer.

That seems a bit steep for an 05 Grand, at least for this area. My brother in law paid about that for his 3 or 4 years ago. He has since traded it in, for the same issues as yours plus a LOT more, I think the dealer gave him $1400 for it.

The trans is the Mercedes trans, so expect to pay a fortune ($2k+) to get it fixed, if it is actually a problem. There is a separate computer for the shifter of the trans on those that commonly goes bad and that's all it takes to fix it. Although most shops will tell you that you need and entire trans rebuild instead of just fixing the computer.

You can get an 05 or 06 around here for 5k or 6k if you want one with 180,000 miles on it. Or if you want the V6 version.
I think the price was a little high but not bad for a V8 with 104,000 miles. Pretty close to what Kelly bluebook said its worth. I'd be fine with what I paid, if it didn't end up having so much crap wrong with it.

, i wouldnt call a exhaust leak and and a couple minor issues a nightmare, its not the end of the world.i agree you should have been a little more complete in your assestment.at least the motor aint sucking oil,tranny slipping and rear end howling.

, i wouldnt call a exhaust leak and and a couple minor issues a nightmare, its not the end of the world.i agree you should have been a little more complete in your assestment.at least the motor aint sucking oil,tranny slipping and rear end howling.

Well, the check engine light is on because its throwing out a trans code, although the guy at the dealer who checked it out didn't know what that code meant, just that it was a tranny thing.
Since driving it daily for the last few weeks I have noticed some slight slippage from the tranny. Usually starting from dead stop there's a slight, like one second hesitation when you step on it, then it takes off like normal. Also a couple times when I first get in it, start it up and throw it into reverse, or drive and step on the gas, it doesn't start moving, I'm like what the hell, and step on the gas again and its moves like normal. So there is something weird going on with the tranny. It could work like that for years without giving me a problem, or it could stop functioning tomorrow, I have no idea. The guy at the dealer said as long as its functioning fine, just drive it, and said "don't take it to a transmission shop cause they'll just tell you that you need a transmission". Well I'm not paying some shop thousands of dollars to replace the tranny just to get the freaking engine light to go out. I might go as far as to take it to the Jeep garage and see if they can nail down what the code means, it could be something simple.

Anyways, I know the exhaust leak, no big deal, $30 bucks in parts and its fixed, nice and quiet. The sunroof fix may or may not be major to fix. But having a check engine light and a slipping tranny on a car I just spent every penny I had on, is kind of a nightmare in my book.

-
Back