Damn Gas tank will not come down!!

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
My gas tank will not come off the filler neck no matter how hard I wiggle it or if I even spray PB blaster on it. The O-ring on the spot where the gas tank/filler neck meet is pretty hard but still soft enough to wiggle. The gas tank is completely disconnected from everything but the filler neck and this is really getting on my nerves. Anyone got a suggestion on how to get it to come down? And a cold shower cant be one of them:toothy10:

BE CAREFUL!!

The one on my Valiant wouldnt let go either UNTIL I was in the trunk pulling on it with all my strength and then without warning, it let go and busted me right between the eyes knocking me out of the trunk onto the ground.

I bled like I was shot. LOL

OK my post dissapeared and I put it up no more than 10 minutes ago. Wierd. I was jst saying take the gas tank out with the filler neck and then remove the neck. Much easier!!

Like Frank said. It'll come out eventually and will likely include bleeding on your part. Just wait til you try to put it back in.

A floor jack is a really good helper when trying to lower or raise the tank!

If you haven't done so, you need to remove the screws that hold your
filler neck in. This will let that side of the tank angle down so you can
turn, tug, twist, curse, yell or whatever to get the neck loose from
the rubber seal that's in the tank.

When you put it back in (get a new seal). Make sure you put some lube
on the I.D. of the seal and on the O.D. of the filler neck. What I did on my
'Cuda was this. I put the filler tube in the tank after I put the lube on and
let it set for a couple of days. I was thinking this might make it easier
to install in the car by "enlarging" the I.D. of the seal.

When I was ready to put the tank in I put a piece of 2 x 6 board between
the filler neck flange and the body. This let the neck stick a little
farther thru the floor seal and the filler neck wouldn't want to slide back up.

This method worked great for me...this was the 2nd time I had to do this...
my first new tank split on the bottom after about 2500 miles, but that's
another story.

Hope this helps.

Tony

P.S.

I forgot about the bleeding part...have some band aids ready.

A floor jack is a really good helper when trying to lower or raise the tank!

It is low as it will possibly go, I think Imma have to try the "attack from above" approach maybe

If you haven't done so, you need to remove the screws that hold your
filler neck in. This will let that side of the tank angle down so you can
turn, tug, twist, curse, yell or whatever to get the neck loose from
the rubber seal that's in the tank.

When you put it back in (get a new seal). Make sure you put some lube
on the I.D. of the seal and on the O.D. of the filler neck. What I did on my
'Cuda was this. I put the filler tube in the tank after I put the lube on and
let it set for a couple of days. I was thinking this might make it easier
to install in the car by "enlarging" the I.D. of the seal.

When I was ready to put the tank in I put a piece of 2 x 6 board between
the filler neck flange and the body. This let the neck stick a little
farther thru the floor seal and the filler neck wouldn't want to slide back up.

This method worked great for me...this was the 2nd time I had to do this...
my first new tank split on the bottom after about 2500 miles, but that's
another story.

Hope this helps.

Tony

P.S.

I forgot about the bleeding part...have some band aids ready.

Thanks for the tip! The filler neck and all the screws to do with it were all taken out when I started doing it. I don't understand why this one has to be a pain in the rear. I guess the first is the worst:toothy10:. Some people have told me they just go to drop theres and it comes right down, I wish I was that lucky right now, it is freeeezing!!

Pour a pot of boiling hot water ot the rubber where the tube goes in. This will soften the rubber up so the flange on the pipe can pop out. Put the seal in boiling water to install and smear a little Vaseline on the pipe.

I had the same problem with mine. I ended up cutting the grommet around the tank. that loosened it up, then when the tank was pulled down, half of the grommet went into the tank for later retrieval. It worked great.

Pour a pot of boiling hot water ot the rubber where the tube goes in. This will soften the rubber up so the flange on the pipe can pop out. Put the seal in boiling water to install and smear a little Vaseline on the pipe.

Great tip!

I ended up losing the metal tank and installed a 15 Gallon Fuel Cell in the trunk. Left the tube in place so the cap could be there. Now it does not matter which side I pull into to pump the gas. I just pop open the trunk and fill er up!!

I ended up losing the metal tank and installed a 15 Gallon Fuel Cell in the trunk. Left the tube in place so the cap could be there. Now it does not matter which side I pull into to pump the gas. I just pop open the trunk and fill er up!!
Thats the plan in the future. To fab up an aluminum sheet metal fuel cell to incorporate into a new trunk floor, along with a battery box. But thats down the road a bit

-
Back