Damper Balancer selection

-

Pjs67Fish

Reaction score
hi everyone,

Building a stroker 340 engine (BPE 4.125 kit). I have ported Edelbrocks, hydraulic roller, should be a scooting little street/strip car 67 barracuda Fastback.

I don’t want to reuse my mopar performance balancer just because it’s been on a couple engines already and is every bit of 15 years old. It’s probably fine but why risk it. I have searched the forums on balancers but have some unanswered questions. Looking at Fluidampr, ATI, or BHJ.

I know ATI requires shimming the pulleys, which I can do, but would rather not (it has PS and AC). Does fluidampr or BHJ fit stock pulleys? I like BHJ because you can get it with early timing tab location, but that is a secondary perk. I like the technology on fluidampr. And ATI’s is obviously a good product, I have one of their converters that works great,(and they are local in Baltimore).

What about an aluminum vs. steel hub? Obviously aluminum is lighter and reducing rotating mass has its benefits. Will aluminum live on the street? It’s not going to see a ton of miles but I want to and from the track.

I hate spending a ton of cash on something as boring as a balancer, but with all the other money I have in the heads and rotating assembly I shouldn’t skimp here.

So any input experience when it comes to using a three groove crank pulley on these would be very valuable. Thanks in advance !

I've used 2 Fluiddampers. they work fine with stock pulleys and both engines have been happy with them on there.

I ordered a fluidampr from TH Motorsports was only $379 free shipping which I thought was really good. Anyone else ever use TH Motorsports?

-
Back