Damper Question for Factory Appearing Restorers

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was intending to keep my 340 factory appearing, as is the rest of the car. I had it rebuilt and told the machine shop to install a new stock Mopar Performance damper. Instead they bought an aftermarket damper, with the timing mark and index on the wrong side of the engine and balanced the engine with that. Will there be any balance issues if I install the Mopar Performance damper at this point?

If it is a steel crank early 340, you will not have any issues. Both balancers are neutral .

Does it have a steel crankshaft or a cast crankshaft? One is internally balanced and the other "cast" externally, unless modified.

I should have stated that it is a 1970 340 with the steel crank and internally balanced. If it is ok to install the correct year Mopar Performance damper, why was the crank, rods and pistons balanced with the damper, pulley, flywheel and pressure plate as I was told?

Most shops need all the parts to check if they are balanced. A good shop will never machine a damper, just check the balance of the one supplied by spinning the assembly twice, once with the damper and once without.

It appears there will not be a balance problem switching to the Mopar Performance damper.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice.

-
Back