Dana 60 full or semi floating?

-

fanboatman

Mopar nut
Reaction score
I want a Dana 60 for my demon, does it matter if it's full floater since I have to narrow it? Would it be any harder to narrow than a semi floater? Where do I find the parts I'll need when I narrow it?
Thanks

Grab whatever D60 you can get as long as the tubes are at least 3" OD. You're going to replace the housing ends anyways.

If you get one that has a powerlock, you can buy the side gears with 35 pline to upgrade from a 16, 23 or 30 spline unit.

Truck axles have thicker tubes and are a lot easier to find, since your cutting it anyways it doesent matter what brand it comes out of. The side gears in the carrier are the only major factor. A friend of mine picked one up outta a ferd truck newer model, 4.10 ratio trac lock for 30 bucks.... Only snag he's hit is the side gear splines, strange wouldn't spline him a custom length axle.. But moser would, or the other way around. I think he's got 31 spline??? Watch out because a d 70 looks like a 60, there is a cast in 60 on the housing if it's a 60 and a 70 if it's a 70.

Thanks guys I will keep my eye out for one. Maybe I can find one with a posi and 35 spline axles. I'll head to the junkyard.

We found out that Ford had Dana make some housings with odd gear spacings. Meaning, that you can't change the gear ratio that came in it, very easily. Friend has a 3.50 geared Pro Street Cuda with a pretty good size rear tire and it does super on the highway, but not so good at the dragstrip.

Ive seen different side gear/splines on ebay, something like $125 and any spline you need, sorry dont have the link at the moment, I was turning flips when I found that I wont have to respline my axles when changing from a spool to a posi unit.

I got a 35 spl HD 60 for sale out of a Dodge PW W-350, if you are within a distance it's worth it, but you don't have a location in your profile..might want to fix that with atleast a state...

I'm in Texas, but thanks for the offer. I have one but I don't want to part the truck out. They are all over the junkyard I just have to go get one. Anyone know where to gt the parts I will need?

Go over to Moparts or maybe he has a id here but look for Dr.Diff. He will help you out and reasonable prices to boot.

-
Back