Dana 60 gear change

-

chasb

Reaction score
Looking to convert from 4:10 to 3:55

Any suggestions on whose gears and install kit to use??

Well, have you ever changed a gear set in a Dana before? It's not like doing a corporate rear with threaded adjusters. All the adjustments and bearing preloads are done with shims. It's not for the shade tree mechanic. On top of this if you don't have the required spreader you can't possibly set the carrier bearing preload correctly. Also according to Dana it isn't supposed to be spread more than .018", left spread for any amount of time or spread more than 7 times.

I'd suggest having a pro, with the correct tools set it up for you.

I went from 5.38's to 3.54's about 10 years ago. Awesome street gear. I hope you do not run into the surprise that I did. My dana had the large carrier because of the steep gears so I had to find a small carrier to go below 4.30's. But that was not the surprise. The surprise was that it had the monster axles in it. Finding a small carrier for the big axles proved to be VERY hard. I ended up getting one from Bouchillon Performance. If you look in old MOPAR magazines you will probably see a picture of one of their Challengers with about 3 feet of air under the front tires. Anyway, it is great not to be at 3200 RPM at 40 MPH in 4th gear anymore. So the car doesn't launch like a superbike anymore. Who cares, I can go to shows now!

2shelbys said:
I went from 5.38's to 3.54's about 10 years ago. Awesome street gear. I hope you do not run into the surprise that I did. My dana had the large carrier because of the steep gears so I had to find a small carrier to go below 4.30's. But that was not the surprise. The surprise was that it had the monster axles in it. Finding a small carrier for the big axles proved to be VERY hard. I ended up getting one from Bouchillon Performance. If you look in old MOPAR magazines you will probably see a picture of one of their Challengers with about 3 feet of air under the front tires. Anyway, it is great not to be at 3200 RPM at 40 MPH in 4th gear anymore. So the car doesn't launch like a superbike anymore. Who cares, I can go to shows now!

THanks for the tip

I dont know if I'll have that problem. I have to get thecar up on a lift so someone can look at the rear for me.

You should be alright Chas, years ago I went the other route and went from 3.54 to 4.10 on a 9 3/4 in my Super B with no problems. That being said you just never know.

Terry

You should not have that problem if you have 4.10's. You should already have the right carrier to go to 3.54's. You will only have that problem if those 4.10's turn out to be 4.30's. You will like 3.54 as a street gear. That 440 has more than enough torque to launch an A Body and running on the highway will be a whole new experience. It is also really cool to be able to smoke the tires when you are already cruising at 30 or 40 MPH.

As stated earlier tho, you should make use of the case spreader tool to install the shims behind the carrier bearings. The carrier should be the same for both. Yukon, Richmond, US Gear and Precision all make gears for Danas. Just find the cheapest. I like Cass Eslick myself...Dr Diff on Moparts.

demon seed said:
Boy, that's a pretty hefty rearend for that Dart, must weight as much as the rest of the car. Just funning with ya, try www.richmondgear.com. :burnout:

Yes, but this is one of those rare occaisions where adding weight will probably make the car faster. With a big block A Body, adding weight to the rear end will probably make the car faster because if you add enough weight to the back it may gain some chance of hooking up a little without 10 inch+ slicks! My battery is still in the trunk from the good old track-only days.

-
Back