Dana 60 gear ID

-

1badazdart

Reaction score
Can anyone ID the gear that’s in my Dana 60 just got the rear end the previous owner passed away. No idea what the gear ratio is.

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

Kinda looks like it's a spool too, not great for the street.

I run spools on the street.
I do too. The o.p. might not want to.
O.P., best advice you will get here, is to call (with a phone) Dr Diff. He can help with gears ( I think you have a 4.56-up spool, so you MIGHT be able to go down to a special 4.10) and a lsd (sure grip or a true Trac, gear style)
If you want a more street friendly gear, you will probably have to replace the spool you have as well. Dr Diff is the only place I know of that you can get 3.23s for a Dana 60, cause he had em made.

There are "thick" 5.38s that can be used on 3.54/3.73/4.10 carrier, or spool. IF you want to retain your spool, you'll need to find out which it is. There is a carrier "break" , 4.10 down, and 4.56 up. (As I understand it, 4.30s are only for front axles, and take a 4.10 down carrier. So then , how can There NOT be a matching 4.30 gearset for the rear?).

As suggested, get in touch with Dr Diff and explain what you have to get his input on what you may want to use gear wise.

I don't know how to determine whether you have a thick 5.38, or a standard. (If I had to make a guess, looking at what you have pictured, I'd guess a standard) if you have a standard5.38, then the highest normal gear that will fit is a 4.56. I THINK there are 4.10 gearsets for the low gear carrier (higher numerically)
Dr Diff will know for sure about the gearsets, and how to tell about your spool. Thats,That's, we recommended calling him.

-
Back