Dana 60 in a Duster:

-

Twisted72

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,I'm picking up Dana 60 housing this weekend to build for my 72 Duster.Any tip's,it's for street and some strip.Donor vehicle was a 78 Ford 250

No kill like overkill!

I bought mine off a guy on eBay, it was narrowed to a-body specs (52.4" & 43"), and used Yukon 28" axles, green bearings. I used 11 x 2.5" brakes off of 70 B-Body. Nothing like a Dana peaking out from under the back of the car!

21.jpg

Get your wheels and tires you plan to run before having the rear cut.

This way you can have the rear cut to the proper size and not have to mess around with spacers or worse, buying wheels with a different offset.

Buy a better spring perch than the MP's.
Box the perch to the axle as well, especially if you plan on running the car hard, using cal-tracs.

If the rear has a track-lock posi in it, it won't likely last long with any decent HP applied to it. Spool it or look for a power-lock carrier.

Yeah they look good...
Relo015.jpg

No kill like overkill!

I bought mine off a guy on eBay, it was narrowed to a-body specs (52.4" & 43"), and used Yukon 28" axles, green bearings. I used 11 x 2.5" brakes off of 70 B-Body. Nothing like a Dana peaking out from under the back of the car!

Peeking??? Hell that thing is screaming!!!!!

Thios is not to brag on my car, but rather to illustrate the attractive ornamentation and functional reliability of the Dana 60 rear axle modification.:thumrigh:

23.jpg

24.jpg

So all those Ford Dana 60's are the same as Mopar Dana's? I found one from a 3/4 Ton Ford pick up. Will it work if I shorten it and just change axles? Which backing plates do they use? Thanks.

Mine Came Out Of A 1976 or 1978 Dodge D100 Two Wheel Drive Truck

Dana 60 and New Gas Tank 1.jpg

Dana 60 and New Gas Tank 4.jpg

So all those Ford Dana 60's are the same as Mopar Dana's? I found one from a 3/4 Ton Ford pick up. Will it work if I shorten it and just change axles? Which backing plates do they use? Thanks.

The true car dana 60's had a mechined pad with 3 holes for a pinion snubber mount. And yes you can cut the tubes down and change the ends and axles from a truck dana 60.
Matt

Here is the 72 duster i picked up last oct. Its got a dana 60 underit, but needs a chrome cover to highlight it. LOL
Matt

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

Can you buy the ends somewhere are do they need to come from another Mopar rear end. Which do you use 8 3/4? Thanks

Any waty to tell from the outside of vehicle type if it's a track lock or power lock? It came out of a 1985 4x4 F250

Can you buy the ends somewhere are do they need to come from another Mopar rear end. Which do you use 8 3/4? Thanks

My set-up uses the ends removed from a 8 3/4. This way it still uses the A-Body brake set up!

-
Back