Dana 60 spline count

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The dana 60 Im having moser cut down is from a late 70s Dodge truck. Supposedly 30 spline axles. I'm hearing that the 35 spline ones are the way to go. So before I order the axle shafts, should or rather can i swap the ring and pinion and the carrier for a 35 spline unit if I can find one? Is that even possible? Or will the 30 spline unit be just fine in a 550-600 hp 440?

A stock 8-3/4 has pretty much the same axle shaft and bearing arrangement, and whenever someone breaks one it's usually the ring and pinion. That being said, 35 spline axles are 54% stronger by the raw math than 30 spline axles. They usually aren't necessary unless you are planning on slicks, spools, trans brake, huge nitrous hits, or copious amounts of boost. But, if your having to change your carrier out for whatever reason, parts for a 35 spline Dana 60 carrier and bearing assembly are going to be about the same price as a 30 spline carrier and bearing assembly. If you plan on running slicks or more strip than street time, 35 spline axles are probably a good investment. But I myself have met very few people that have broken a 30 spline Dana axle in some pretty hairy off road use with heavy vehicles and large tires.

I guess if I was making that decision I would ask myself "what's the weak link NOW?" I guess that would be u-joints. I would rather buy u-joints cause they're cheaper than axles.......so I would probably upgrade to the 35 spline.

If you have a 30 spline power loc or a 30 spline trac loc just change the side gears to 35s.
The trac loc is the weaker unit with just the single pin but you can still get the 35 spline side gears for it.

If you have a 30 spline power loc or a 30 spline trac loc just change the side gears to 35s.
The trac loc is the weaker unit with just the single pin but you can still get the 35 spline side gears for it.
Right now it’s just an open case. I am wanting to throw in a limited slip but not sure which one for a street/autoX car

I wouldn't classify the track loc as weaker. I would say it's limited slip action is not as strong as the power lock for sure, but they're not weak. In other words, they don't break easily.

In the 60 & 70s the 3/4 ton trucks with the danas had the power loc with several differant side gear counts. Al you do is get the rebuild kit and the 35 spline side gears.

Bought the side gear kit for the spline change from 30 to 35 you can only get it with the clutches that being said it was $435 to change over from 30 to 35 splines

Bought the side gear kit for the spline change from 30 to 35 you can only get it with the clutches that being said it was $435 to change over from 30 to 35 splines
Thanks

Yeah it was a bummer that I couldn't just buy the side gears it one time you could now it's a whole package

From Dana Spicer that is maybe somebody else might have it but I don't think so I checked Randy's Ring and pinions in a couple other places exactly which is why I called you when I

Complete new unit for 4.56 and up power loc. $380.00

DANA 60 POWER LOCK 4.56 & UP 35 SPLINE w/ ABS | eBay

In the description

DANA 60 POWER LOCK 4.56 & UP

35 SPLINE

FITS ALL RATIOS 4.56 AND UP

THIS HAS ABS PROVISION

BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED

THESE UNITS HAVE BEEN IMPOSSIBLE TO GET FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS.

YOU CAN INSTALL THIS UNIT INTO ANY DANA 60 FRONT OR REAR DIFFERENTIAL.

THIS UNIT HAS U.S. MADE OEM DANA FIBER CLUTCHES.

THIS UNIT IS MUCH STRONGER THEN THE TRAC-LOCK POSI.

PLEASE USE A NON SYNTHETIC 80w 90 HIGH QUALITY GEAR OIL AND 2 FORD FRICTION MODIFIERS FOR TROUBLE-FREE TRACTION.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ASK FOR JP 866 = 423 = 6872

Being you have an open differential, your going to be changing your center section anyway, unless you go with a "lunchbox locker". They are available in 35 spline too but I would much rather go with a powerlock or an Eaton true track. No doubt, a spool or a "Lincoln Locker" (welded spider gears) are the cheapest way to to 35 spline axles but are also a great way to barrel roll a street car at moderately high speed around sharp corners.

-
Back