Dana 60 too narrow

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The most recent lol, I am in the process of relocating my leaf springs. I knew my used Dana 60 was pretty narrow but it's 41 inches flange to flange & the frame rails are right around 38 inches outside to outside.
I am going to attempt to weld a .250 thick plate on the inside of the rail, welded to the floor and as much as I can get inside, I will drill several holes on the outside of the frame rail to plug weld the plate, then weld the spring mount to the plate and the rail.
I am kind of thinking .250 isn't going to be enough but I just need enough space to get my backing plates to clear the leaf spring.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow night or Wednesday.
I just assumed the overall width would work at 47 inches & it will, just have to make it work and there's the lol, I should have known by now nothing is EVER straight forward.

I have a dana 60 in my car and it is narrowed literally as far as it can be. The calipers just clear the leaf springs. I'll see if I can get a measurement on it for reference.

My Dana is 47 flange to flange. Have 15x10s with 5 inch back space. 3/4 inch to rail with the tire bulge. So I can see where u would have some fun installing yours. Kim

What is you wheel backspace?
I don't have any wheels yet, however the weld wheels I'm looking at have as little as 2.5 back spacing. I have 4.25 from the end of the axle to the frame. I'm thinking I can get away with 3 Bs & 12 inch wide

My Dana is 47 flange to flange. Have 15x10s with 5 inch back space. 3/4 inch to rail with the tire bulge. So I can see where u would have some fun installing yours. Kim
Yeah, I have a narrowed and back braced 8.75 at your specs, it would work but not very long

I have a dana 60 in my car and it is narrowed literally as far as it can be. The calipers just clear the leaf springs. I'll see if I can get a measurement on it for reference.
I'll guess it's 44 inches, I'm going to need to open up one side of my spring perch to sit flat on the end of the housing

I don't have any wheels yet, however the weld wheels I'm looking at have as little as 2.5 back spacing. I have 4.25 from the end of the axle to the frame. I'm thinking I can get away with 3 Bs & 12 inch wide

YOu can't narrow the rear enough to effectively run a 2.5" backspace on a relocated A body.

I run 3.5" backspace on an 11.25" wheel. My calipers barely clear the leaf springs

Thats 3 " in 10 " out being its a 12 " wheel is actually 13 " wide outside to outside. They would work on a smooth drag strip but the stress of a turn or a bump on a street car? I myself would be leery with 10 "s of leverage on the wheel center depending on the wheel and its use. I hope they are not Draglites and your using them on the street with that much offset .

I ran a 12 inch with a 7 backspace. I am sending them to Mac wheels for bead lock conversion for drag radials. They told me that I would have to have them cut to 11 with a 6 inch BS. I was thinking of having them cut 1 inch on the inside and outside to make 10 inch wheels. Mine are Weld Draglites.

Steve 061.JPG

Steve 108.JPG

Steve 109.JPG

Steve 112.JPG

Thats 3 " in 10 " out being its a 12 " wheel is actually 13 " wide outside to outside. They would work on a smooth drag strip but the stress of a turn or a bump on a street car? I myself would be leery with 10 "s of leverage on the wheel center depending on the wheel and its use. I hope they are not Draglites and your using them on the street with that much offset .

I ran a 12 inch with a 7 backspace. I am sending them to Mac wheels for bead lock conversion for drag radials. They told me that I would have to have them cut to 11 with a 6 inch BS. I was thinking of having them cut 1 inch on the inside and outside to make 10 inch wheels. Mine are Weld Draglites.

View attachment 1715938850

View attachment 1715938851

View attachment 1715938852

View attachment 1715938853
My 70 dart is strictly being built as a race car. I'm going to do a super stock wheel well opening, so I may get away with a little more with that leeway, by the way I was planning on draglites but no street. Do you think they'll bend ?

Last edited:
YOu can't narrow the rear enough to effectively run a 2.5" backspace on a relocated A body.

I run 3.5" backspace on an 11.25" wheel. My calipers barely clear the leaf springs
That's part of my "going to have to make it work"
With my relocation, I'm going in further with the springs. I'd like to get in an additional inch on each side, but I'll see how that works out. I'm also going to have to box in a spot inside the frame for my sliders.
Once all that is figured out then I'll know for sure what wheels.

Sorry folks, no updates, pictures or progress.
I had to put a new rear inner hub seal on before my road trip to Art Morrison for my cage Friday.
Tommorow I'll get some pics so you can see my idea.
Thanks you guys !

View attachment 1715938850

View attachment 1715938851

View attachment 1715938852

View attachment 1715938853
You're going to have the draglites converted to beadlocks ? That very interesting

MOPARMAGNA, Why don’t u see if someone will make u a trade. There is always a lot of wheels on here for sale. Kim
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot when I figure out my backspacing.

My 70 dart is strictly being built as a race car. I'm going to do a super stock wheel well opening, so I may get away with a little more with that leeway, by the way I was planning on draglites but no street. Do you think they'll bend ?

no , I`ve run them and prostars on a few diff. cars .

I don't know how much of a concern the back spacing is in regards to reliability / functionality.

The company makes those wheels, right? My weld S70's are 11.25 with 3.5 BS.

I will say that strange used torino axle ends or bearings on my dana 60.

I've been running a 15 X 10 with a 3 1/2" b.s. Welds for well over 10 years with lots of road miles and have had no issues. I have never heard of anyone else having issues with either a very shallow or deep offset wheel on the street.

I've been running a 15 X 10 with a 3 1/2" b.s. Welds for well over 10 years with lots of road miles and have had no issues. I have never heard of anyone else having issues with either a very shallow or deep offset wheel on the street.
Yeah me either but just wanted to make sure

-
Back