Dana 60 worth it?

-

dustUoff

Reaction score
Well I've got the chance to pick up a Dana 60 with 4.10's and a posi unit that came out of an early 1970's dodge pickup. The guy said the measurement was 56 3/4 inches from backing plate to backing plate. My question is, for $250 bucks, is it worth picking this unit up? How much modifying am I going to have to do? Thanks.

The posi unit will probably be a track lock not the more desirable power lock. The axle gears will most likely not be 35 spline so you will need to change them. I would pull the cover to inspect the gears for rust or other damage and see if the diff has 4 spider gears and the bolts together like the clutch type from an 8 3/4. I think $250 is a bit much considering all the money you will spend on axle ends, axles, axle gears and paying someone to narrow it and install perches. One thing I would recommend is late big Ford axle ends. There are cheap 5 on 4.5" disc brakes for those ends and the axle bearings are far superior to green bearings.

Well worset case you will have no problem getting 250.00 got the posi dana rear so If that is what your looking for I would buy it.

I narrow them all the time to make a-body rears. If it is 30 spline You might want to just get a set of 30 spline mopar 8 3/4 (as long as the 30 spline are the same pitch) Or I can get you cut to fit axles 30 -35 pretty reasonable priced too with the correct bolt pattern for the car.

They also make 35 spline cut to fit axles also.

Jim

JD

$250 is a great price for a complete D-60, might not bolt in but go price a empty housing if you think the 250 is high...

As for the rest that all depends on the hp you're making and if you need to change the unit out for any other spline count.
Figure you'll be spending another 350 for axles, plus the ends and labor around 300.

Or call Strange and buy a ready to bolt in D-60, the only aftermarket 60 anyone should consider

-
Back