Dana 60

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on any chassis mods to put a dana 60 in a 76 A body. Its a truck axle I'm gonna have mosier cut to match my 8.25. Its got 3.5" axle tubes. I know I gotta swap plates for mounting,lines ,etc. Biggest concern is anything needing to be done to the gas tank,shocks,etc. I don't want to cut anything,as the Plymouth is completely rust free and don't want to hack it up. I'd prefer not to move the tank.Just looking for pointers from those that have done the swap.I'm also looking for a posi unit for the 60. May just do a "lunch box locker" in it. Street use mostly. If its alot of change, I'll just go 8.75. I have a fullsize complete with an open 742 case available too. I know a 60 would last 4 ever. Thanks all.

I would not use the Dana with 3 1/2 tubes. Thats the HD one for trucks which has a lot more webbing that adds up to a lot of extra weight and they don't make 3 1/2" Mopar car ends that size. You should look for the 3 1/8" tube Dana found in older trucks and vans. I have several Dana 60 parts that I will be selling soon. Let me know what you need. Note: because most suregrip units for 8 3/4's are over $400, a Dana 60 is less expensive to build.

Before I put one of those truck Dana rears in my Barracuda I measured my original rear to figure out optimal wheel clearance. Instead of matching the width of my original rear. I ended up going a few inches narrower. I didn't relocate my springs or do any minitubbing. - But the change in rear end width meant I could center the widest tires that I could fit with the rims I'd chosen.

I didn't do any mods to the suspension other than urethane bushings and I did replace leaf springs based on the ride height that I wanted. - Oh I did have to find another set of U-bolts and U-bolt mounting plates to accommodate the larger diameter axle tubes and I did make another driveshaft to mate the correct yokes and length.

The van dana 60 is from a 96 ford E 350 van and only 150.00 with 3.55 or 3.73 gears. @ dif axle assemblies. They are flanged axles not the heavy outer ends. In my 76 A body,the 60 series 15" tires just clear my springs and my fender lip by maybe 1/4 inch,so if mosier matches my 8.25 thats in it exactly,I'll be ok. Not cutting or moving anything. I have a dana power lock that needs rebuilt available to me for 100 bucks to go in the 742,if I go that way. Lookin for my best and most affordable options. Thats why I'm getting advise.Thanks all. I'm listening.All opinions are good.

anyone got a "lighter" duty dana 60 or housing for sale? I found one,but its a dana 61. Not the same. Other wise I'll have to wait to see if one comes up or do the 3.5" dana out of the van. But its only 150.00 with either 3.55 or 3.73"s,but open carrier. Perhaps run a "lunchbox" locker. Thanks

-
Back