Dana 60

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Friend has a Dana 60 laying around off a 79 Ford 250

My question is, would it be a good Idea to use it if I can not find a 8 3/4 end if I'm going for a beefy 360? I'm aware some recommend those only for big blocks and such but others have em with SB, shoot I'll maybe even save up for a supercharger to go with the 360.

My other question is, how long should the Dana housing be if I want to put in wide wheels in the back, I'm afraid this Dana is too short all ready... picture doesn't serve well right now will take some tomorrow...

I think its 51 1/2 long flange to flange

I can get this for free because I help out the guy in his shop that's why I'm considering, and I know it's pretty much the same price ranges to rebuild this as with a 8 3/4

Plus the extra 50lbs at the rear will do the dart good yeah?

IMAGE_167.jpg

Unless you have insane hemi power that dana 60 is a boat anchor.

But if your gonna use it and looks narrow you could move your springs in 3' and possibly make it work and with plenty of room for tire.

Unless you have insane hemi power that dana 60 is a boat anchor.

But if your gonna use it and looks narrow you could move your springs in 3' and possibly make it work and with plenty of room for tire.

Well if everyone agrees then I'll consider selling it or trading it for a 8 3/4 doesn't have to be from an A Body since I have connections and can do the narrowing myself. :cheers:

Thank for replying 3404spdvaliant!

I wouldn`t worry about a Dana unless you`re making crazy hp or have a 4 spd. with ALOT of hp. Even some of the S/S cars with automatics still used the 8.75.

....the Dana may be a bit of overkill. The factory 68 hemi cars only came with a dana when it was equiped with a 4 speed . The auto cars came with an 8.75. I've got several in the yard but have never felt the need for the additional weight. If your makin real H.P. then ok but anything under 600 hp stay with the 8.75 with a Detroit Tru-Trak gear system and your good to go. If your thinking of weight just use the /6 T bars and you should get good weight transfer to achieve your goal. Works for me.

Lets see, an A body 8 3/4 is 54 inches flange to flange and that Dana is 51 1/2 feet long??? Gonna need some narrowing, LOL!!! Seriously, it's already shorter than an A body but like you said it's all up to the tire and rim combo you're using. I'm with the guys though, it's not only overkill and a boat anchor, but they are much harder to work on than an 8 3/4 should something happen internally. Stick with an 8 3/4 and you'll be fine. Where are you located. I'm selling a couple early B-body 8 3/4 housings if you're interested. The early housings are only 1 inch longer than an A body, so with a little backspacing magic on the rims and moving the perches in 1/2" on each side, they go right in. P.M. me if you're interested in one of them. Geof

You can build a good dana for the same money as an 8.75 and it's 35-40# heavier. You just have to shop around.

If you are starting from scratch, I'd do a dana. Especially if the one you can get is std rotation with the gears you want to run. Danas have clearance issues in some A bodies with the fuel tank edge, nothing a few good blows with a hammer doesn't fix.

Nothing looks cooler than a Dana under a Mopar... :-D

If you can get it and interested in selling it, find out the gears, what type of rear it is powerlock, traklock, open... I may be interested. I need one for my Dart. I have a B body 8.75 housing/axles to trade depending on what this Dana has in it.

My 340 twisted the pinion in half during an 8,000RPM launch. I didn't even trip the lights.

Running a 3.91 Dana 60 now, with snubber. Well worth it when you need it.

Not if you don't.

A big problem that plagues the 8.75 is a lack of PRO gear sets. There`s a few being made but gear selection is small and price is about 75% more.

Turned out that my friend really didn't know what he had...but the Dana is actually a 70...looked at the stamped number and checked the housing which is just a lil bit different...I didn't inveI didnt

So now my question is should I just give this away or sell it, do people actually buy these? For how much?

Turned out that my friend really didn't know what he had...but the Dana is actually a 70...looked at the stamped number and checked the housing which is just a lil bit different...I didn't inveI didnt

So now my question is should I just give this away or sell it, do people actually buy these? For how much?

RUN!

You can try a 4X4 forum and maybe get some luch there on selling a 70. But most folks go with a 60 as a 70 is overkill for them too. I have seen lots of 60 hold up to most anythign it get put through on the trails.

-
Back