Dana 60HD carrier same as Dana 60 carrier?

-

pauly

MOPAR or no car!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Can someone shed some light on the difference between a Dana 60 carrier and a Dana 60 HD carrier for a rear axle? Are they the same or different?

I have heard both lines of thought and really can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks!

I believe it is different as the 70, 70HD, and 70U are all different but I am unsure on if this applies to Dana 60s or not.

Best I remember the difference is that the HD version of the dana 60 has more material ( webbing) around the carrier part of the housing. It will also have HD60 cast into the housing around the carrier.

I put a 70HD in my 86 Ramcharger a couple of years ago. The axle bearings were the same as a 60 and the carrier was supposedly the same. Just the housing was braced more, the tubes were bigger, and there was more meat. The cover was the same as well iirc.

Best I remember the difference is that the HD version of the dana 60 has more material ( webbing) around the carrier part of the housing. It will also have HD60 cast into the housing around the carrier.

This is correct, internals the same. Got one from a ford wrecker a few decades ago. Still got it under a 50s Mopar.
Had the same spline as the 8 3/4s. Came with the track lock rather than the power lock.

Thanks for the information. I know the pig has more webbing on it - was more wondering on the carriers. I have two 4.10 sets - one open, and one Sure Grip that I want to part with

The HD dana and the dana are different.

The HD is 35 spline and different style and the regular are everything else

The housings are heavier and not what you want for a car, which is mostly truck related the hd and non hd.

-
Back