Dana?

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
In my never-ending quest to annoy the FABO community to death, I have yet another question. I was perusing the local do-it-yourself junkyard and happened upon a massive 1971 Dodge van. I coudn't find a model name on it anywhere, but it was definitely not a passenger van. Anyway I thought, "Hey, maybe it has a Dana." and took a peak between the wheels. I found a differential that was octagonal, had 12 bolts in the case, had a drain plug in the rear cover, the driveshaft entered towards the bottom and was offset towards the passenger side I believe, and the cover was not smooth like a 8 3/4 it was more...humpy. I couldn't get to any of the casting numbers on it, so hopefully this data is sufficient. Is it likely that it is a Dana? I've been looking for a page of diffs that I happened upon a few days ago, but I can't seem to dig it up.

Thanks

Scratch that, I'm almost positive it's a 9 1/4, I found some pictures that helped. Now I have a different question, would it be advantageous for me to grab it? Either for selling or for installing, I don't know if they're all that desirable.

yes it would,if tis at a great price.If its in a full size window/panel van,it has to be heavy duty to begin with.If some one needed a diffy to install and shorten,this could be a great money saving item.As long as you post the gears and weather its a posi or one leg carrier,and the brakes,you could help and make some coin,Mrmopartech

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info (I'm going to start bookmarking these tech pages...). I'm going to try to run over and yank it off tomorrow. Depending on how much they charge for a diffster.

-
Back