Dang it!! Dang it!! Dang it!!

-

duster360

Reaction score
Well I guess I spoke too soon about getting my cooling problem fixed. It is not as bad as before. A hew days ago it was around 67* and all wa well with the car, well today it was 82* and when I sat in traffic for about 10 minutes it crept up to 205*. I am not happy with this. I want no more than 195* at any time. I am going to do a real fine tune on the car and do a tranny swap this week and see what happens from there. If not any better, my next step will be getting an aluminum radiator. :angry7:

Oh and here are links to my other threads on the subject:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...d.php?t=132400
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=140384

I am sorry but your off your rocker,205 after idling 10 minutes in traffic is nothing to worry about nothing.

Is 205* really that normal? Guess I am just worried about it overheating this summer when it really gets hot. Going to put some timing tape on the balancer today and do a vacuum check on the engine and fine tune the 750 Holley, runs a little rich right now. We'll see how it goes from there. I will keep reporting back here each time I change something.

Does it cool right down when you start driving again? If you rev the motor just a touch while sitting in traffic, does it cool down?

Boiling point of water with a 16 psi cap is 250 degrees F. 205 is not even close. If it really bothers you try a A/C water pump or play with the water pump pulley ratio.

Does it cool right down when you start driving again? If you rev the motor just a touch while sitting in traffic, does it cool down?

When the temp got up I only drove it about 2 miles to the house but it stayed around 200*.

sounds like the same problem im having ill drive my 68 dart with a 360 for ten minutes and it will slowly climb in temp and itl sit at 160 for a couple minutes then 180 then 200 and it will run at 205-210 just driving around no stops-this scares me as it will not drop once its there and when i sit at stoplights itl get to 215-220 when i shut it down and push it over. Ive tried everything pump, stats/no stat, electric fans, flex fans with shrouds and ive even threw in an aluminum radiator months ago, no change and its been going on since i put in the 360 in a year ago just dont have the time to work on it as im stationed far away from home, hopefully you solve your problem and maybe itl help me out too, good luck

sounds like the same problem im having ill drive my 68 dart with a 360 for ten minutes and it will slowly climb in temp and itl sit at 160 for a couple minutes then 180 then 200 and it will run at 205-210 just driving around no stops-this scares me as it will not drop once its there and when i sit at stoplights itl get to 215-220 when i shut it down and push it over. Ive tried everything pump, stats/no stat, electric fans, flex fans with shrouds and ive even threw in an aluminum radiator months ago, no change and its been going on since i put in the 360 in a year ago just dont have the time to work on it as im stationed far away from home, hopefully you solve your problem and maybe itl help me out too, good luck

this sounds just like my slant here in AZ... if it is over 80 out its in the 200's...

i think it might be due to the fan setup's... i have a electric fan and i think it just wont move enough air... thinking of going to a clutch fan

Tony Fields and I were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic today in 100* heat and his car krept up to around 218*. But as soon as I kicked it into neutral, it fell right down again, so we weren't worried about it. Once on the road, it plummeted back down to 190* or so. As long as it'll drop back down, you're probably ok to around 230 or so. Do the math. I think the formula is like for every pound the cooling system is under, the boiling point is raised like 3 degrees. With a 16 pound cap that puts the boiling point at 260*. And that's just talkin about water, not coolant which has a higher boiling point to start with.

well i ve had a couple issues with what i thought might be the high side of temps in traffic living in florida its hot 90's to low 100's .... i took a /6 water pump pulley an put it on ,no fan clutch switch to 6 blade stainless steel fan 190 all day long in traffic or the cruise at old town .... ive tried the elec fans .. never had a alum rad .. never needed one ... i run heavy compression ,mech cam ,3500 stall,gears... you'll fine the right combo that works for you ..

I think a bunch of people spend money "trying" to upgrade the factory cooling system, only to have their car run hotter.

My car is capable of running high 11s with it's non stroked 340. I have a 100% factory cooling system.

I could fill the tank and let it idle until it ran out of gas in the middle of July if I wanted and it would never get over 180-185.

well i have a stock /6 that i started it and let it run for 20 mins the other day at 90.f it never got over 160 mine was an ac car so it has a v8 fan on it just butting in lol

Overheating at idle (in traffic) indicates not enough airflow across the radiator cooling fins. Overheating at cruising speed indicates a circulation problem in the cooling system.

-
Back