Dang near had a heart attack!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Since I put the new rear end in my Dart, I rarely drive it the 40 miles to work because it really needs a four speed with the extra gear. My daughters car broke down so I let her drive my Buick and I drove the Dart. Driving home at 3 freaking 30 in the morning I noticed something behind my right hand that was on the wheel. I look closer and after a few seconds the oil light flickers. It starts to flicker more often and brighter. The engine sounded good. If I kept 45 mph or less it didn't flicker. I check the oil before I drive it every time and it was full that morning. I stopped at a gas station and it was two quarts low. I figure I have a big leak, so I add a couple quarts and start the last 18 miles for home. The damn light is on hard now, and bright. Still no engine noises. I am thinking maybe a bad sender? Leaking from said sender? Crap, I have to hook up a mechanical gauge and check pressure. Then it hits me. I have a mechanical gauge, I just never hooked up the lights so I can't see it. What a moron! I kick on my phones flashlight and see 40 psi. I am a happy guy again. 18-20 psi at idle, 40 while driving. The very next morning I ordered an oil sender. I have never been happier to buy any part for this car!

Where did all of the oil go? Was it leaking out of the sending unit, like you thought?

Haven't looked yet. I have a fair oil pan leak that I decided to live with due to a planned motor swap this winter. It isn't leaking THAT bad though. Sunday I am putting in the new cam and will check it out more thoroughly then.

Haven't looked yet. I have a fair oil pan leak that I decided to live with due to a planned motor swap this winter. It isn't leaking THAT bad though. Sunday I am putting in the new cam and will check it out more thoroughly then.
im sorry i didnt read right or some thing i was thinking u fixed it i hope nothing was hert in it

It's a good thing you still had the "dummy" light hooked up to let you know it was low on oil!

Except it wasn't on because it was low on oil. I filled it and it stayed on. I had good access to the sender today when I was changing my cam. It wasn't leaking. The wire lead to it was so brittle it broke when I wiggled it. I fixed it and put in a new sender anyway.

I think the leak was mostly from the rubber oil pan to timing cover seal. The one I took out was all rippled and beat up like it wasn't installed properly. I understand how that could happen because I fought to get mine to stay in place for over an hour. It kept wanting to push back into the oil pan even though the rubber nubs were still in place and supposed to be holding it tight. That pushed the whole job back and now I won't be able to change the oil and start it until tomorrow. Hope this cam wakes this motor up!

-
Back