DANGER, help with acid damage

-

pauls340

Reaction score
I used to be a salesrep for a brick cleaning product with acid's in it. These samples have been sitting two years and I noticed during the winter a jug broke and leaked 1" deep in a rubbermaid type bin. The acidic vapors have etched anything chrome on the Demon. Inside door handles, turn signal, gas lines, PS lines, any exposed bare metal is got a fine rusty surface on it. The front bumper and headlight trim. Any idea what to use to clean up the chrome? The product is removed. The real bummer here is I called the Company 3 times and was told someone would contact me and pick it up...nothing for a year.:violent1:

Have you neutralized the acid on the metal, yet? And is the rust powdery or crystallized?

You might consider backing soda and water solution ( like cleaning battery acid). If everything is pitted it won't be able to be "cleaned off".

Paul, I am chemist.

If the acid vapors reached the chrome and exposed metal then those surfaces should be neutralised using a solution of baking soda as previously mentioned. You should also wash the car and wipe down anything that might show signs of a real fine condensation.

As far as the metal goes, if the chrome or metal has pitting then you will have to replace or rechrome.

Can you look up the MSDS (materal saftey data sheet) information on the acid and see what it says? It might tell you how to deal with it or give you a 1-800 number to call. That would be my very first step since you have removed the acid from the location.

Paul, I am chemist.

If the acid vapors reached the chrome and exposed metal then those surfaces should be neutralised using a solution of baking soda as previously mentioned. You should also wash the car and wipe down anything that might show signs of a real fine condensation.

As far as the metal goes, if the chrome or metal has pitting then you will have to replace or rechrome.

Looks like you already have an expert on hand. Best of luck to you.

I have used "Bar Keepers Friend" with huge success removing minor rust pits from chrome. It works.

Attachments

• Bar-Keepers-Friend.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 241
to get the chrome cleaned up there nouthing better than #0000 super fine steel wool after you wash it

I have used "Bar Keepers Friend" with huge success removing minor rust pits from chrome. It works.

Yep. I've used it, works great. There is also another product cal Bon Ami that is similar. It's an extremely mild abrasive. So mild that you can use it to polish glass without scratching. Never tried it on chrome or stainless.

So far the baking soda bath has removed all the light rusty crap off the outside. Engine well next

Attachments

• Abody Demon mine.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 170
Sounds like the advice you got so far is working, If nothing else does try Evapo Rust that stuff works wonders.

Yes very upset especially since I called the mfg 3 times and was told 3 times it will be picked up. Turns out the front bumper, inside door handles, inside window cranks are toast. The chrome tubular storage rack it was on is really toast. Acid based product dripped on concrete...toast. Waiting for a call from their Insurance Adjuster. How unfortunate to have to go thru this....

-
Back