Dart ID help

-

74duster

Reaction score
Going to be looking at a Dart. There is an outside chance that it may be a factory hemi Dart, or maybe a factory big block Dart. (I know, it's probably a slant six car, but you never know til you look.) I don't know what to look for on the car to see if it is any of the above. Can someone give me a few obvious things like VIN or fender tag callouts or something?:read2:
Any help would be great.

Rob

67 = E is 273-4, 68 = P is 340-4, H is 383-4, 69 = P is 340, H is 383, M is 440.
LS (68,69) at the beginning is a GTS. LM (69) Swinger model.

Pretty sure.
Good hunting.

Grant

I don't know. All I have is 3rd hand information that goes something like this:

"It has bad paint, but the body is solid. It only has 50,000 miles on it and is a factory race car. Don't know if it's a big block or small block, but it has dual quads on it. Also, has bench seat with auto on column. It's a Dart and is probably a 68 or 69."

So, I don't know what to expect. It's most likely a broken down bracket racer. But if on the outside chance that its something special, I need to be able to ID it when I get there.

Any other info would be great.

If it's a factory Hemi Dart it'll have the big radiused rear wheelwells, seat belt straps to hold the windows closed, van bucket seats, should have a Dana 60 if it's amanual trans car, chrome plug in the door where the rear view mirror would mount. Of course, any of this could have been changed (it's only been a little over 40 years since they were built). Would think the radiused rear wheelwells would probably still be there though. I'm sure I've got some pics somewhere. I'll look a bit.

I seriously doubt it's a real Hemi Dart if it has 50,000 miles on it, they were not titled for street use and that would be a lot of passes.

Another sign of a hemi dart, other than the vin of course, is the fibreglass hood and front fenders. Also the side windows were very thin and strapped down. But this too could have been replaced.

The VIN on a '68 Hemi Dart will start with LO23. There will also be no heater, back seat, radio, or window cranks, and the master cylinder will have rubber hoses running to the brake lines.

I appreciate all the info. Trying to set up a time to go see it, but the guy is out of town a lot. If it turns out to be something cool, we'll post some pics later.
Thanks again for the info,

Rob

A 68 Hemi Dart won't have a bench seat either, unless someone didn't have anything better to sit on. Now, a factory built car made into a race car, sure. Also, everything on the street in the 80's had dual quads so that's probably what your going to look at. Good luck, take down the numbers and ask to take a few pics to post here and we'll help you out.

Apparently, the current owner did some internet research, and has decided that this car has value. He has stated that the car is now not for sale.
I really have no idea if this car is special or not, I've not gotten a look at it yet. Hopefully, he will change his mind, but until then............

Thanks for all the helpful info,

Rob

-
Back