Dart not running right.

-

dartcuda

Mopar Or No Car
Reaction score
Ok, I will try my best to explain what is going on, and what I have done so far... What it does is it will run fine up until I get into 4th gear on the freeway and then it seems to not have any power, kind of just surges. I can hold it steady and it is not too bad, but it does seem to lose power and I end up slowing down. Now I can come to a complete stop and take of and it is fine until I get up to speed again, Ok, so far I have switched out the dist. as I was thinking that might be the problem, as have had problems there in the past. I have also changed the ecu and still the same thing. My set up is a 318 Elderbrock perforance carb, electionics ing. I am now starting ot think it might be a fuel problem, or maybe a bad plug or 2. Any ideas will be very helpful

Sounds like it is a fuel starvation problem.

Weak fuel pump
Kinked line
Partially plugged filter
Plugged tank vent

You are getting enuff gas to idle around but when the demand goes up, something is holding back the supply.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too, not enough fuel, or maybe something plugged up alittle in the carb. May need to go get a fuel pressure tester and she what my fuel pressure is.

i had this happen on my ramcharger, it would take off fine in low gears but at highway speeds it would go no where ended up it was a fuel problem, rebuilt the carb and it fixed it right up.....

Thanks for the replies and advice. I didn't get a chance to work on it today, but am hoping next week end. I already have a kit for the carb and just have to get a can of the cleaner. Will let oyu know what i find out as soon as I get it fixed.

Haven't run over anything that would have smashed or restricted your exhaust have you?

Sounds like it is a fuel starvation problem.

Weak fuel pump
Kinked line
Partially plugged filter
Plugged tank vent

You are getting enuff gas to idle around but when the demand goes up, something is holding back the supply.

i agree with the above --

Ok, I got around to taking the top off the carb and found not too much fuel in the bowls. Now that car has sat since sat. But I think there should still be fuel in the bowls, so I am leaning towards fuel pump or clogged line. I am going to go ahead and pull the carb and kit it since I have it apart. and will replace the fuel pump, the line going to the pump since it looks a little weak.

check to make sure the needles aren't stuck in the seats. I just fixed that on an eddy. Also, while the top is off, check float level and drop. I bet it is carb and not fuel pump.

Ok, for an update. I want to first thank all that replied and to let oyu know it was a fuel problem. It was in the carb. There was a lot of junk in it so I went ahead and tore it down and cleaned it up. When i looked into passage for to the needle and seat there was allot of junk in it, blew it all out put it back together and she runs great now. Again thanks to all. That's why I have made this site my home.

Yep, it was a fuel flow issue. Glad you got it fixed!!

As for making this site your home....we don't charge rent!!

I noticed you have both vacuum ports on your carb with hoses coming out of them. (The smaller ported/non-ported lines) What are they going to? One I assume is the distributor, where is the other going? I've never seen anyone use both and wondered if it would cause issues.

Thanks Yellowdartdave. Yep, fuel problem and really an easy fix.

63dartman... Actually they it is just one hose hooking them together. Tried running one to the dist. and the car runs like crap. Not too sure why that is but ever since I switch it over to electronic ing, if I hooked up the vaccum advance it just ran like crap.

-
Back