Dart on a rotisserie

-

ir3333

Reaction score
For those with experience...where was the midpoint for mounting / rotating your '68 Dart shell on a rotisserie?
tx guys..

Will let you know soon, my barracuda will be on one in the next couple weeks. Will try to document the balancing process.

the rotisserie I built is adjustable. that way as parts are added or taken off I can rebalance. I got the idea after looking at several different ones online

No one actually measure the starting point.
i'm thinking about 6 inches below the top of the rad support???

I had a hard time getting my 65 convertible to balance because I couldn't get it high enough. I ended up replacing the T shaped pieces with straight lengths of square tube. This put the pivot point at the same level as the bumper brackets which worked pretty well. Obviously a hard top will be different.

My rotis is by Auto Twirler. It is adjustable for height on the front and rear pedestals so I could get it at the right height to be able to rotate 360 degrees without hitting the top of the car on the connecting piece. It also adjusts in width with the front and rear crossbars. That allowed me to attach to the front frame rails and to the rear bumper mounting holes. I've had no problem with balance.

2018-01-14 14.48.13_preview.jpeg
2018-01-14 17.39.03_preview.jpeg
20190121_160525_preview.jpeg

Your rotisserie is just like mine. Looks like you are on the highest setting possible using the T bracket. Does that car have a roof?

Yes, it is a hardtop. The roof barely clears the connecting member when I rotate it upside down. It is only close as it comes around to the drip rails. I have to get underneath and put a foot on the connecting member to flex it downward a little bit to sneak the drip rail past; then it rotates freely on around till it comes to the drip rail on the other side. It is only at the drip rails that I have any interference. And come to think of it, I think it is only the set screws on the connecting member that interferes.

Yes, it is a hardtop. The roof barely clears the connecting member when I rotate it upside down. It is only close as it comes around to the drip rails. I have to get underneath and put a foot on the connecting member to flex it downward a little bit to sneak the drip rail past; then it rotates freely on around till it comes to the drip rail on the other side. It is only at the drip rails that I have any interference. And come to think of it, I think it is only the set screws on the connecting member that interferes.
Thats with jacks all the way up?
Now i’m concerned i didnt make it high enough. I think it jacks pivot to 44” from floor.

Here's what my convertible looked like once I got it balanced. You can see that I replaced the T-brackets with a straight pieces of square tube to get the car higher and the axis of the rotisserie lower.
IMAG0025.JPG
IMAG0005.JPG
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0007.JPG
IMAG0008.JPG
IMAG0009.JPG

Theoretically, I could still jack it up another couple of inches to get the full clearance, but it wouldn't be a secure position (i.e. with the bolts through the vertical pedestal to lock it in). I'd be operating on the jacks; something I'm not comfortable doing. If you look at the photos, there are 3 positions in the pedestal to bolt it through. Yes, I am in the highest bolted position. That really hasn't been a problem for me because I seldom have a need to put the car in a full upside/down position. It is no problem rotating from one "stop" to the other that give me probably 340 degrees of actual rotation access. If I absolutely need to go the full 360, I just have to clear those set screws in the connecting member.

I had no trouble going the full 360. No roof, but still a windshield frame. Maybe my rotisserie is taller. It was a Craigslist purchase and there was no identifying information on it. But it's plenty stout.

I had a hard time getting my 65 convertible to balance because I couldn't get it high enough. I ended up replacing the T shaped pieces with straight lengths of square tube. This put the pivot point at the same level as the bumper brackets which worked pretty well. Obviously a hard top will be different.

I did mine right after I had done a hardtop and it seemed to be about 11 inches different (convertible lower for me) but it still was tough turning that weight past the midpoint.
DSCF2454.jpg
DSCF2470.jpg
DSCF2471.jpg

Ok.I made the posts 5 feet tall, so i shouldnt have a problem.

-
Back